75 of 123
in America. May the factory be always occupied and conducted by a
The furnace build by Mr. Bakewell in 1808
contained only six pots, twenty inches in diameter, which were replaced
in 1810 by a ten-pot furnace of larger capacity, and in 1814 another
furnace was added to the works, of like capacity.
In 1809 another concern sprung up, and carried
on the business on a limited scale; in 1812 another succeeded, making
three concerns carrying on the business; and in 1810 another company
was formed, but failed in a few years.
There are now in Pittsburg nine concerns
manufacturing flint-glass, running thirteen furnaces and one hundred
and five pots. There are also three concerns at Wheeling,
running five furnaces and forty-five pots. There are also at
and Cincinnati one or two factories each, besides
several manufactories for green glass jars, and one for the making of
porter bottles; one also for mineral-water bottles.
The first glass-cutting works were opened in
1809 by a German of the name of Echbaum, who had settled
in Pittsburg some years previously.