The Cleveland Window Glass Company made prism tiles using
James Galt Brown's patent No. 665,170
which features two alternating, different shapes of prisms on the back
"The object of this invention is to provide a prism-plate
that has a large illuminating capacity and that is capable of diffusing a
large volume of light next, adjacent and in close proximity to the plate,
as well as over a great distance from the inner or light-diffusing side
of the plate."
Their logo/deco tile has a square diamond on the front
(i.e. a square on point), overlayed with a skinny 4-pointed star,
with a "C" in the center:
||Founded by E. W. Palmer and George H. Kingsley
||Incorporated in Ohio as "THE CLEVELAND WINDOW GLASS CO";
(Secretary of State);
capital $50,000 (Leading Manufacturers and Merchants...)
||232 to 240 Champlain and 67 to 71 Michigan;
Telephones: Main 473 and 1579 [Cleveland City Directory (CCD)]
||232 to 240 (old) Champlain and 67 to 71 (old) Michigan;
Both Phones [CCD]
||Name changed to Cleveland Window Glass & Door Company
—Electrical Record and Buyer's Reference, Volume 2
||Incorporated as "THE CLEVELAND WINDOW GLASS & DOOR COMPANY"
(Secretary of State)
||"CLEVELAND WINDOW GLASS & DOOR CO., THE Plate Glass,
Window Glass, Art Glass, Art Glass Domes, Mirrors, Paints, Door, Sash,
Millwork. Office and Factory, 209-211 Champlain Ave. and 200-204
—Souvenir Book of the Cleveland Industrial Exposition: June 7-19, 1909
||"Advices from Cleveland state the Cleveland Window Glass
Company is to put up a new building on its present location, Champlain
avenue, near Ontario street. The structure will be fireproof and will
have nearly 100 feet frontage. The company will occupy the entire
—Paint, Oil and Drug Review, Volume 53
||"Cleveland Window Glass & Door Co., 209-21 Champlain
av. and 200-204 Prospect av., N.W.; Both Phones."
||"CERTIFICATE OF CONTINUED EXISTENCE" filed with the
Secretary of State
for The Cleveland Window Glass Co. Huh?
||Still listed in CCD
||"CANCELLED BY TAX DEPT W/NOTIFICATION"
(Secretary of State)
"CLEVELAND WINDOW GLASS COMPANY, Office and Salesroom, 130, 132 and 134
The Cleveland Window Glass Company was started
in 1872 by E. W. Palmer, who has been dealing extensively in glass for more
than thirty years, and George H. Kingsley. Office and salesroom, 130, 132
and 134 Champlain street, in a brick building 60 by 80 feet. Carry an
extensive and varied stock of French and American window glass, German
mirror plates, car, coach, picture, floor, roofing, ornamental and polished
plate glass. Most extensive glass house in the city, if not in the State.
Sales about $80,000 per year. They employ ten men. They are sole agents
for Cleveland for the American plate glass, made in New Albany and
Jeffersonville, Ind. For more than a century we have been paying Europe
exhorbitant prices for manufactured plate glass, and the belief was prevalent
that it was impracticable to manufacture in this country, but in six years it
has been demonstrated that it can be made of such quality and at such prices
as will command the market. Another proof that America can be self-supporting.
This success has required earnest struggle in the face of previous hostile
attempts which had failed and millions of money lost, caused, it is said, by
powerful, hostile combinations, representing the capital of the Old World
monopolies. Fortunately for this country the enterprise at New Albany, the
first successful one, was controlled by a man of large means, who, for nearly
five years fought the battle for America with unyielding effort, during which
time foreign competition reduced the price more than 50 per cent. (gold
value). Through all of which it has completely triumphed."
—Industries of Cleveland: Trade, Commerce and Manufactures for the Year 1878
Cleveland Window-Glass Company, Importers and Dealers in English,
French, and American Window-Glass, Plate, and Ornamental, Office and
Salesroom, Nos. 130 to 134 Champlain and Nos. 73 and 75 Michigan Streets;
E. W. Palmer, President and Treasurer.—A review of the importing
houses of Cleveland discloses a remarkable degree of activity in all
departments of trade. In no branch of business, however, has a greater
amount of energy and ability been manifested than in the importation of
foreign glass. A representative and progressive house engaged in this
trade is that of the Cleveland Window-Glass Company, importers and dealers
in English, French, and American window-glass, whose office and salesrooms
are located at Nos. 130 to 134 Champlain and Nos. 73 to 75 Michigan streets.
The Cleveland Window-Glass Company was established in 1870, and was duly
incorporated under the laws of Ohio in 1880 with a capital of $50,000.
The following gentlemen, who are greatly respected in commercial life for
their sound business principles and honorable methods of transacting
business, are the officers, viz.: E. W. Palmer, president and treasurer;
Levi Buttles, vice-president; E. W. Palmer, Jr., secretary; W. K. Palmer,
superintendent; B. F. Wade, assistant treasurer. The premises occupied are
extensive, and are admirably equipped with every facility and appliance for
the accommodation of the large and valuable stock of glass, which is the
best in Northern Ohio. The facilities of the company for promptly supplying
all sizes of American and foreign window-glass are unexcelled. They keep
constantly on hand foreign and American plate, ornamental, cathedral, floor,
and roofing glass, and have superior facilities for cutting and beveling on
their premises. The company likewise carry a large stock of glazed windows
and blinds, and are agents for Hartman's patent sliding inside blinds,
which have been recently introduced into Cleveland by this respectable
house. They have an extensive planing-mill of their own, and manufacture
blinds of a superior quality and workmanship. Their patent outside blinds
are unsurpassed, the slats work freely, tenon will not break or rot, and
staples do not pull out. These qualities and several minor improvements
and the best of materials and workmanship combine to make the neatest and
most desirable outside blinds yet offered to the public. The trade of the
Cleveland Window-Glass Company extends all over the Middle and part of the
Eastern States, and is constantly increasing in volume, owing to the
superiority and quality of its glass and other specialties. The policy
upon which the business is conducted is characterized by liberality and
the careful fostering of the interests of all patrons, so that transactions
once begun with this house may be made not only pleasant for the time being,
but of such nature that they shall become profitable and permanent."
—Leading Manufacturers and Merchants of the City of Cleveland and Environs: a Half Century's Progress, 1836-1886
Cleveland Flats · 1939
Cleveland Public Library Photograph Collection
Brown's Patent No. 665,170
Cleveland Window Glass Co
CWG&D Co · 1928 · Donley Bros Co
1876 Clarke Letter
Columbia University Library
New York Times, October 29, 1892
TWO FIRES IN CLEVELAND.
ONE LIFE LOST, SIX PERSONS INJURED—THE LOSS WILL
Cleveland, Ohio, Oct. 28.—Two fires, which
occurred to-day within an hour in the heart of the city, caused a property
loss of at least $250,000, the loss of one life, and the serious injury of
half a dozen persons. Shortly before 11 o'clock an alarm called the Fire
Department to the works of the Cleveland Window Glass Company, on Champlain
Street, between Seneca and Ontario Streets. The three-story brick building
was filled with smoke and the employees, both male and female, were rushing
down the stairways. The fire was quickly extinguished, and a search of the
upper floors was made to learn if all the employees had escaped.
At the head of the stairway Michael Sullivan
and Kittie Nolan were found insensible. They had been suffocated by the smoke
and had fallen close together. They were carried down to the street, and Miss
Nolan died an hour later. Sullivan will recover. The loss by fire to the
window glass company was $1,000, but the damage by water is estimated at
$15,000; fully insured.
Before this fire had been extinguished another
alarm was sounded calling the department to the big sash and blind factory
of A. Teachout & Co., fronting on Michigan Street 42 to 46, and extending
back to Canal Street 300 feet. The fire started in the warehouse, and before
the firemen reached the scene the flames had spread to two other buildings
connected with the warehouse by bridges, and the fire was beyond control.
Soon after the firemen began work an explosion
occurred in the paint room, which blew the Michigan Street front of the
building across the street. A number of persons were standing on the
sidewalk, and the firemen were playing on the front. Col. C. C. Dewstoe was
thrown backward by the explosion, and Harvey C. Beeson of Detroit was blown
clear across the street and badly hurt. Fireman Charles Weiler was badly
injured internally, Fireman John J. Kelly was badly cut, and Fireman Michael
Maloney received severe bruises in the side and chest.
After the explosion the fire spread to the
four-story brick building of M. Mittleberger & Son, dealers in hides,
adjoining, which was partially destroyed. L. C. Beardsley's tin-can works
and Wood Brothers' tile works were also destroyed.
The loss of A. Teachout & Co. is total and
will reach $200,000, insurance about $100,000; Mittleberger & Son's loss,
$20,000, insurance $15,000; Wood Brothers' loss, $8,000, insurance $7,000;
L. C. Beardsley's loss, $500, insured.
A strong wind was blowing at the time of the
fire, and great clouds of sparks were carried over the business streets.
—New York Times, October 29, 1892
"GLASS—PAINTS—DOORS AND SASHES.
Your experience as a practical advertiser may
be wide. You are certain to have had wide experience of advertising from
the common standpoint of a reader of advertising. Have you ever known or
heard of an advertiser using plain pica old style paragraphs who was a fool?
This sort of type and that sort of men seldom go together.
The Cleveland Window Glass Company does business
over its own and six States that touch Ohio, dealing in three important
building essentials—glass, sash and doors, paints and oils. It carries
to-day between 4,000 and 5,000 open accounts with builders, architects,
lumbermen, paint and glass retailers, pictures dealers and property owners.
Its business is both wholesale and retail. It is the only firm in its line
that advertises in any live fashion. Its proposition is peculiarly difficult.
For one thing, nothing must be said in its advertising about prices, for the
wholesale branch of the business is by far the most important, and nothing
can be printed that will lead the public to believe the company sells below
retailers' prices. Nor can the quality argument be used, for if there is
anything to be said about better goods the retailer must be permitted to say
it. Nor is the general public particularly interested in paints, glass, doors
or sashes. The average man buys coffee once a week, but he may break a pane
of glass once in five years, and he will hardly build more than one house in
a lifetime. Yet the Cleveland Window Glass Company has advertised for twenty
years or more, and is one of the most conspicuous advertisers in its section
of the country. Its publicity is handled by Mr. E. W. Palmer, secretary and
treasurer of the company. Mr. Palmer began twenty years ago, knowing little
of advertising, but thoroughly convinced that a large trade could be built
up in his line through publicity. For several years he used eight and ten
inch double column spaces in Cleveland dailies, filling them with ads of a
peculiar sort. They tried to tell all about everything in the stock every
day, for one thing, and they were somewhat upon the cap
" order. Mr. Palmer believed that
individuality was a huge factor in advertising, so he put in the best
individuality at his command, and plenty of it—very good individuality
too, which attracted attention and sold goods. But he became dissatisfied
with his work after a time and went away to the East to ask
Mr. John E. Powers
about it. He took along some sample ads and submitted them, and the Great One
"That's not good advertising."
"They think it is up in Cleveland," Mr. Palmer
protested. "It's talked about, and commented upon, and it brings results."
"But it isn't first class advertising."
"Well, in the first place you're using too much
space and spending too much money—more money than your business can
afford. Then, you can't keep up the pace—that much cleverness every
day will drain your energies, and the ads will begin to drag upon you by
and by. You ought to stop, get a little single column ad in preferred
position, use small type, one kind of type, tell some little thing about the
business every day, and tell it in such a way that everybody'll be
By way of showing him how his publicity ought to
be handled Mr. Powers wrote some ads. Furthermore, he taught him how to
write them himself, showed him the advantage of preferred
positions—reading matter on three sides of a small daily ad instead of
a large black display announcement fighting for an existence among other large
black display announcements. He taught him forevermore the folly of trying
to obtain type that nobody else could use, and convinced him that the plain
pica of the Easy First Reader is not only good enough to print a thought of
Shakespeare's, but that it will faithfully mirror an advertising man's thought
if there is any thought in it. He was a bit skeptical as to the possibilities
of the window glass business at first. It was a line in which there was
almost no general interest. Mr. Palmer couldn't expect to tell his whole
story every day, and perhaps would never get a chance to tell it at all.
The best way of advertising seemed to be running an offhand paragraph daily,
letting it reflect the spirit of the business and the company rather than
the commodity—convince people that the company was conducted in a
spirit of enterprise and liberality and old-fashioned honesty. At best he
could simply create general good feeling between himself and the public, and
when the individual reader wanted glass, doors or paint he would come. Mr.
Palmer went home and put his lesson to good use. He read Mr. Powers' stuff
and studied his methods, cultivated the acquaintance of all the little
English words, pruned his matter down to a single paragraph and got reading
matter on three sides of his ads by the simple expedient of paying for it.
He found that the average reader remembered but one or two facts in an ad,
even though it covered a whole page, so cultivated the art of putting these
facts into two inches single column. One fact was more likely to be
remembered than two, took less space, and left the rest of the page for the
newspaper publisher to fill with live news. In the beginning of his career
he had calculated that there were only three or four things to say about
glass, sash and paint, but the Great One taught him how to broaden his
subjects and find something new to say with every change of the weather.
That was fully twelve years ago, and Mr. Palmer has written ads of the
following sort every say since, until the accumulations fill a soap box:
The old man
probably mends more windows than anybody else in America. That's because
he takes such care of his customers. Autumn is the best painting season.
Paint is apt to wear better when it is applied when the temperature is
uniform—neither too hot nor too cold.
Nothing to say about linseed oil except
that the price is right. We hear when the price goes up, and sometimes when
it goes down we hear that too.
Would you like to see some of the
beautiful doors our mill is turning out? We're not trying to do hardwood
cheaply. There's no fun in cheap hardwood for anybody.
Busy at keeping out the cold these days.
Doors, windows, storm-sash, reglazing—it's all in our line.
Fall storms coming. The patching-up-window
season is here. The old man is ready. Telephone size
and color putty.
The ironwork of skylights should be
painted in these days of sun and rain. We can keep them in repair either
before or after they leak, as you prefer.
We're not after the cheap trade in
hardwood work. It costs time and money and care to make it, and these must
be paid for. Stock work costs little to handle and we charge accordingly.
Let every factory man read this: There is
money for you in water paint—us, too.
You think prism glass is a luxury. 'Tis
indeed, if you're working or living in a dark room.
Better order storm sash in time. Remember
the price of coal.
We are extremely careful of what we
advise you to buy. The world is full of humbug stuff—the fuller yet
of faulty stuff.
Sun and rain are hard on skylights.
Better let the old man look after them while he's
fixing up your windows.
The little "old man
trademark is unique. Mr. Palmer deliberately say down to evolve a trademark
and had difficulty in finding anything that would typify the company's
commodities. Finally he remembered the Russian Jew who, landing in this
country without a trade, takes to mending broken windows. The little figure
lends itself to silhouette, and is never tiresome. Hardly any other bit of
advertising is so well known in Cleveland as the "old man
and he is made a sort of guide, philosopher and friend to the public. All
Cleveland papers are used impartially, and the daily ad is quiet, truthful
and interesting. People read it as they read the
ads—because each contains some sort of well-filed point and perhaps
a bit of information that it will not do to miss. Mr. Palmer not only aims
to tell the truth in his ads, but tries to make it look like the truth. And
he has succeeded. Once establish a good business name and it is better, far,
than great riches. What man in his senses ever doubts a statement made in a
Rogers-Peet ad—or even questions one? German papers are used in
Cleveland, but the ad is printed in English. Mr. Palmer believes that
everyone worth going after reads English, and the ad is a novelty, being the
only English announcement printed in those mediums. The principle upon which
this advertising is placed is odd. The chief object is to reach large buyers
of the firm's commodities—builders, architects, retailers. The small
householder who buys a few panes of glass and a can of paint every year is an
important but secondary factor in the company's business. By talking generally
to the mass of people the company talks to all. The big buyers read the daily
papers as carefully as little ones, while the small householder is likely to
build a block of stores some time. Traveling men who come in and out of
the city spread the firm's name and advertising. Mr. Palmer counts largely
upon transients who are attracted to the advertising during brief visits to
Cleveland. Plain old style is a sort of trademark with the firm, and figures
on everything from booklets to letter heads. Booklets are sent out to
classified lists of dealers, as well as circulars and other matter. Two very
pithy booklets on prism glass and Lucol, which is a substitute for linseed
oil, were lately prepared for the firm by Mr. Powers. Car cards are also
used in Cleveland, as well as blotters and like accessories.
In a little booklet called "Helps in Business"
Mr. Powers has the following to say regarding Mr. Palmer:
"In '96 I first met Cleveland Window
Glass Company, Cleveland, O.—jobber of glass, housebuilders' woodwork
and paint—and found the best client I have, or ever had; capital
$50,000 then; $160,000 now; and will be, I venture to guess, at New Year's,
$200,000. Besides the Company owns some other handsome interests. E. W.
Palmer, manager, had good judgment; was diligent, cautious, eager to learn,
ready to pay for help that would bring him immediate profit, and not too
conceited to learn from a specialist. Mr. Palmer is justly esteemed the
foremost advertiser of all that region; and yet he has never charged so
much as $10,000 a year to advertising account. His advertising is true; it
is true in detail, and the spirit of it is true; one sees that it is true
in reading it. That is its power; his power. He is a powerful man in Ohio.
I reckon him my best client, because he, better than anyone else,
illustrates my business philosophy. There are plenty of richer men; there
are men making money faster; men of greater generalship in business. I
know of no other man so true and so sure in business, who shows himself
true and sure by his business plan and print, who gets on by being and
showing himself so true and sure in his plan and print."
—Printers' Ink, 1902
"Vandals in Cleveland.
Organized bands of vandals, armed with slingshots,
are believed to be responsible for a campaign of destruction against plate
glass companies in Cleveland.
Small iron bolts evidently were used to destroy
eleven costly window panes in various parts of the city. In each case a
bolt, probably fired from a slingshot, broke a hole through the center of
the window. Bolts were found inside each building the vandals visited.
Police are trying to solve the mystery surrounding
the motive for the acts. They are searching for the vandals following an
appeal for protection made to Chief Rowe by glass manufacturers The latter
are incensed over the acts of violence and fear the wreckers may go to even
James T. Tanyan, general manager of the Pittsburgh
Plate Glass Company asked the committee on labor disputes of the Chamber of
Commerce to start an investigation seeking to place the blame for the campaign
Three plate glass windows were smashed on the
West Prospect avenue and Champlain avenue fronts of the Cleveland Window
Glass Company's building. Iron bolts had been hurled through the windows.
Similar bolts were found at the other places visited.
A reward of $300 has been offered for information
that will lead to the arrest of the vandals by the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co.,
Cleveland Window Glass Co., Toledo Plate & Window Glass Co., A. Teacbout
Co. and Crane Glass & Mfg. Co."
—Paint, Oil and Drug Review, Volume 60, 1915
"John H. Grittner. During his early
boyhood at Cleveland Mr. Grittner spent several years as an apprentice in
learning the business of making mirrors. That trade has been the basis
of his subsequent career, and has employed him in various companies and
in various cities. He and a partner some years ago established a plant
of their own, and it has been gradually developed under their efficient
administration until it is now one of the important industrial assets
of the city.
Mr. Grittner was born at Cleveland on September
2, 1876, one of the six children of Julius and Catherine F. Grittner. His
father was born in Berlin, Germany, July 3, 1847, was educated in the old
country and learned the trade of patternmaker, and in 1867, at the age of
twenty, came to Cleveland. Here he followed his trade until he retired in
John H. Grittner spent his boyhood days
attending the local schools of Cleveland until he was fourteen. At that age
he was taken into the firm of J. L. Crane & Company as an apprentice to
learn the mirror making trade. He was with them six years, and as a
journeyman he found his first employment at Cincinnati as a mirror maker
with the Western Mirror Company. Three months later he went on to Chicago,
worked for Tyler & Hippach three months, spent a month in St. Louis,
Missouri, and returning to Cleveland, was employed by the Forest City Mirror
Company as beveler and mirror maker for three years. Then for a time he was
a partner with H. F. Ehlert in the same line of business until 1902, when he
sold out and took charge of the mirror department of the Cleveland Window
Glass Company a year and a half. He was next for two years manager of the
Whipple Art Glass Company."
—A History of Cleveland and Its Environs, Volume III, Biography
by Elroy McKendree Avery, 1918
"Consistent Advertising Pays
Unique Advertising of Cleveland Window Glass & Door Co.
Cleveland, Ohio, October 21—This is to
be a story of advertising and what it can do for a company. Most paint
men in this city have not yet realized what consistent advertising can do
for business, but those who have, have found themselves well repaid for
Among these latter men can be classed E. W.
Palmer, treasurer and advertising manager of the Cleveland Window Glass
& Door Co. Mr. Palmer has been with the company forty-three years,
and about thirty years ago he began to take an active interest in the
advertising part of the business as he is himself an artist of considerable
worth, having taught at the Cleveland School of Art, and being a member of
the Arts Club.
For some time Mr. Palmer endeavored to find
something which could be used for all time, and which would immediately
remind the public of the Cleveland Window Glass & Door Co. every time
they saw it. At last he conceived an idea from an old glazier who was
very familiar to Clevelanders about thirty years ago, and created an old
man with a pack on his back which has been used ever since as the trade
mark of the Cleveland Window Glass & Door Co.
Now Clevelanders never pick up a newspaper or
enter a steet car without seeing some clever little saying accompanied by
this queer little black man with the pack on his back.
"About thirty years ago," says Mr. Palmer,
"a solicitor for street car advertisements came to me and asked me to
advertise in cars. I consented and since that time never a day has passed
when a placard from our company has been missed in a single car.
"This same is true of newspaper advertising.
We have run an advertisement in the dailies for about twenty-five years,
six days a week. We never run the same advertisement twice in a newspaper
while the street car advertisements are changed every six months."
The following are the little sayings which
have been used furing the past year, and which are always run in connection
with the little man. "Imagine a man who doesn't believe in paint!" "Many
more roofs are ruined for lack of paint than because of wear." 87 telephones
that we're paying for. Who says "Talk is Cheap?" "Good paint depends as
much on honesty as on skill. Not at all on mystery." "Do you suppose the
old viaduct stairs would be tumbling down if someone years ago hadn't
economized on paint?" "Not much use in painting screens after they show
rust. The time is paint is before it's needed." "It's fun to do business
in a way that makes friends customers and customers friends." "If there's
any paint problem of yours we can't answer, we'll thank you for the chance
of looking it up." "If folks knew the value of paint, what a lot of enlarging
the factories would have to do." "Carloads of Barreled Sunlight and Factory
White going onto the walls of Cleveland. It's daylight and night light we're
selling; more production, less eye strain." "The prosperty of a country can
often be measured by its use of paint. Perhaps sending Barreled Sunlight,
Vitralite and 61 Floor Finish to Russia might make history."
It has come to a point now when Clevelanders
enter a street car or pick up a newspaper they look for the little man in
order to read the clever saying which always accompanies him.
"This advertisement has been most effective in
boosting the paint industry for the company," says Mr. Palmer, "and it is
the oldest business advertisement in existence."
There is no other paint company in the country
which advertises so consistently, and the result of this is evident when
it is stated that today this company has the largest mill for special work
in the world, having forty and one-half acres of floor space.
About $800,000 dollars a year of retail paint
business is done, and each year a steady increase is noted, Mr. Palmer
states, and $100,000 worth of paint is always carried in stock, and this
stock must be replenished about eight times a year.
—Paint, Oil and Drug Review, Volume 74, 1922
Edward William Palmer
b.31-Dec-1820 Granville, NY
to Amos Palmer and Laura White
d.8-Jul-1896 Cleveland, OH
= Julia Maria Kingsley 11-Jan|Mar-1859
1. Warren Kingsley Palmer, b.8-Oct-1861
2. Edward W. Palmer, b.21-Nov-1863
3. Frederick Herbert Palmer, b.2-May-1865
4. Frances Celina Palmer, b.28-Jan-1869, d.28-Feb-1916
5. Lucy Leonora Palmer, b.28-Feb-1869
(The New England Ball Project)
"Mr. Edward W. Palmer, the founder of
the Cleveland Window Glass Company, died at his home in this city
Wednesday, July 8, 1896, aged about seventy-five years.
Mr. Palmer was born in Granville, N.Y.,
in 1821 and came to Cleveland fifty-four years ago. He founded the
Cleveland Window Glass Company about twenty-five years ago and
continued as its president until the time of his death. He was the
inventor of liquid dye, and devised many improvements in varnishes
He was married to Miss Julia M. Kingsley,
of Fort Edward, N.Y., in 1838, and the union resulted in five children,
all of whom are living. The three sons, Warren K., Edward W., Jr.,
and Frederick H., occupy the positions of vice-president, treasurer
and secretary of the Cleveland Window Glass Company; Mrs. Earnest
Cobb resides in Philadelphia, and Miss Lucy makes her home in this
city. Mrs. Palmer and her daughter were at Mr. Palmer's bedside at
the time of his death. Mr. Palmer was the founder of Grace Episcopal
Church, in whose interests he had been an earnest worker for fifty-one
Mr. Palmer's business career extends over
a period of almost sixty years.
(Annals of the Early Settlers Association of Cuyahoga County, Volume 3, 1892)
"Edward W. Palmer, Cleveland. Secretary and treasurer Cleveland
Window Glass Co. Born Cleveland, O., Nov. 21, 1863 [sic],
Educated in the public schools. Started in the present business 1870
in the glazing department. Has since been in every department.
Secretary and treasurer for the last twenty years, still serving.
Director and treasurer Builders Exchange 1890-1904. Member
Chamber of Commerce and Builders Exchange. Member Cleveland Art
club and treasurer for five years. Politically a Republican.
(Progressive Men of Northern Ohio, 1906)
George Henry Kingsley
to Leonora Empey Kingsley
d.27-Apr-1902 Cleveland, OH
= Mary A. Kingsley
(Find A Grave)
Frederick Herbert Palmer
b.2-May-1865 Cleveland, OH
= Cora Murphey
(The New England Ball Project)
"Frederick Herbert Palmer, Cleveland. Vice president Cleveland
Window Glass Co. Born Cleveland, O., May 2, 1865. Educated in
the public schools of Cleveland. Started in the Cleveland Window
Glass Co. in 1884. Elected vice president in 1895, still serving.
One of the organizers and former president The Cleveland Business
Men's Convention League. Member Cleveland Chamber of Commerce
and Builders Exchange. Politically a Republican and a member of
the Episcopal church.
(Progressive Men of Northern Ohio, 1906)