Home Index Site Map Up: United States Navigation
Up: United States
Condie-Neale Glass Company
Home  > Prism Glass  > United States  > Condie-Neale
First: American 3-Way Prism Company Last: United States Glass Company Prev: Cleveland Window Glass Company Next: Columbia Ornamental Iron Co Navigation
US: 13 of 43

Condie-Neale Prism Tile

"All Kinds of Glass for Building Purposes"
Plate Glass · Window Glass · Skylight Glass · Crystal Sheet · French Picture Glass · Wire Glass · Floor Glass · Rough Glass · Mirrors · Ribbed Glass · Chipped Glass · Sandblast Glass · Ornamental Glass · Imported Picture Glass · Framed Mirrors · Benton Brand Picture Glass · Sanitary Glass Shelves · Steel Wheels · Coach Glass · Sash Weights · Emery Paper · Store Front Construction · Dowells · Windshield Glass · German Mirrors · Shocks · Mantel Mirrors · Hand Mirrors · Hot House Glass · Bookcase Glass · Perfection Picture Glass · Ground Glass · Mitred Glass · Green House Glass · Leaded Glass · Art Glass · Bent Glass · Cathedral Glass · Prism Glass · Colored Glass · Wired Prism Glass · Beveled Glass · Glazier's Diamonds · Putty · Perfection Glass · Glazier's Points · Cutting Tables · Memorial Windows · Glass Cutters · Sash Bars · Patent Fronts · Mirrors Resilvered · Etc., Etc., Etc., Etc.
"largest glass house west of the Mississippi River"
Condie-Neale Glass Co. building Condie-Neale Glass Co. trademark Neptune's Daughter
North Broadway Works, St. Louis Trademark No. 57908 Neptune's Daughter · Fordyce Bathhouse,
Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas
Photo: newlangsyne (flickr)
Condie-Neale made prism tiles, which is why they're included here, but they're best known for stained glass work, especially Neptune's Daughter (above right).

Location: St. Louis

1914 Condie-Neale Glass Co. Catalogue page for Perfection Prism Tiles
Perfection Prism Tiles
1914 Catalog, page 38
  • Pine and 19th St.
  • 2500 N. Broadway and Benton St. (around '06-07)

Timeline:

  • 1903-1915 · Formed
  • 1915-1930s · Became Condie-Bray Glass and Paint Company (member of The Art Glass Guild of St. Louis)

1914 Catalog Preface:

  • "In presenting a catalog of SPECIALTIES to the trade, we feel that we are giving the glass buyer a valuable reference book of ACCESSORIES, and while we are headquarters for "ALL KINDS OF GLASS FOR BUILDING PURPOSES," we take this means of reminding our friends that we are also large distributors of every sort of accessory in connection with the glass business.

    Our plant is one of the largest in the United States devoted exclusively to the glass business, and out facilities for the prompt and efficient handling of all orders are unsurpassed by any other house in the country. Located within the 2500 block on North Broadway, the principal thoroughfare of St. Louis, and extending back to our own railroad switch, we receive and ship our goods with a minimum of breakage, time and expense.

    1913 Postcard from Condie-Neale Glass Co
    1913 Postcard from Condie-Neale Glass Co
    1913 Postcard to
    S. P. Johns & Son,
    Sedalia, Mo.
    It is well for the prudent buyer to know that we carry at all times an immense stock of Polished Plate Glass in highest grade, and whether it be an office building, a dwelling, show-case, store front, counter top or anything of Plate Glass, we are prepared to supply the need.

    Also our stock of Window Glass is perhaps the largest and most complete in the country, and our quality is always to be relied upon.

    Our Mirrors are strictly guaranteed.

    We operate our own shops, and our organization is made up of the most expert and reliable men in this line of business. We have the largest Beveling plant in the West—a complete Leaded Glass shop, Kilns, and Studios, Electro Plating Department, Silvering Department operating to the largest capacity and manufacturing Mirrors under the most approved processes, Chipping and Grinding, Etching and Sand Blast works.

    No order too large for our capacity. None too small for our personal attention."

Personnel:

  • Herbert Douglas Condie, Sr (President: 1903+)
  • Clarence Warner Condie (Secretary, 1903+; Vice President: 1909+)

Herbert Douglas Condie, Sr:

  • "CONDIE, Herbert Douglas, president Condie-Neale Glass Co.; born Philadelphia, Pa., June 17, 1873; son of Thomas D. and Mary Clara (Husted) Condie; educated in public schools and Park Grammar School, Philadelphia, Central High School, St. Louis, and special course in chemistry at Missouri Medical College; married, Ferguson, Mo., Nov. 3, 1897, Sallie Case King, of Chicago; children, Douglas King, Bertha Botsford, Margaret Hallowell, Herbert Douglas, Jr. Entered employ of F. A. Drew Glass Co., St. Louis, Oct., 1891, and worked though every position in office up to general manager, until that company sold out to the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co., when removed to Milwaukee and became assistant manager in that city of Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co.; later removed to Pittsburgh upon opening of the company's branch in that city, and was manager of its glass department for two years, until organizing in St. Louis the Condie-Neale Glass Co. in Feb., 1903, of which has since been president. Republican, Was member of Battery A of St. Louis, 1893-96, Ran on Citizens' ticket for mayor of Ferguson, 1905, Member Pennsylvania Society of St. Louis, Business Men's League. Mason (32°, Missouri Consistory), and member of Moolah Temple, Mystic Shrine. Episcopalian. Vice-president Christ Church Choristers. Secretary Vestry St. Stephen's Church, Ferguson. Favorite recreations: golf and chess. Office: S. E. cor. 19th and Pine Sts. Residence: ''Kinghurst,'' Ferguson, Mo." —The Book of St. Louisans, 1906
Herbert Douglas Condie
Herbert Douglas Condie
  • "Herbert Douglas Condie, controlling one of the important commercial interests of St. Louis as the president of the Condie-Bray Glass & Paint Company, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 17, 1873, and is a son of Thomas Douglas and Mary Clara (Husted) Condie, both of whom were natives of Philadelphia and representatives of old families of that city. There the father conducted business as a chemist and retained his residence until 1887, when business interests brought him and his family to St. Louis, where the mother passed away soon afterward.

    It is always interesting to know something of the ancestry in analyzing the character of an individual, and in preparing the history of Herbert Douglas Condie it is found that he is of Scotch descent in the paternal line and of English lineage on the distaff side. For generations the family lived at Kirkcajdy, Scotland, and the old churchyard there was the burying place of representatives of the name through a long period. Among the cherished possessions of Herbert D. Condie is a genealogical booklet of the family, dating back to 1600 and brought from Scotland in the middle of the eighteenth century. The Condie family intermarried with the Douglas family. A granduncle of H. D. Condie was the first boy editor in the United States, publishing a paper at Philadelphia from 1808 until 1812. Dr. David Francis Condie, his grandfather, became an eminent representative of the medical profession in Philadelphia and made valuable contribution to the medical literature of his day, including a number of works on diseases of children which were used as textbooks in the leading medical colleges of America and Europe for more than a half century. Through the maternal line H. D. Condie is connected with the Hallowell and other distinguished colonial families of Philadelphia.

    Before the removal to St. Louis, Herbert D. Condie had attended the Park grammar school of Philadelphia, after which he continued his studies in the Central high school of St. Louis and in the Missouri Medical College, now Washington University Medical School, completing a special private course in chemistry under Dr. Curtman and graduating with the class of 1891. He then entered the employ of the F. A. Drew Glass Company of St. Louis in October, 1891, and his efficient service and fidelity won him various promotions with that house until its business was sold to the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company, which Mr. Condie afterward represented as assistant manager at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Later he went to the city of Pittsburgh when the company opened a branch house there and was manager of its glass department for two years, or until February, 1903, when he became one of the organizers of the Condie-Neale Glass Company of St. Louis, which in 1915 was reorganized as the Condie-Bray Glass & Paint Company. From the beginning Mr. Condie has been its president and his training in chemistry and his experience in connection with the concerns previously mentioned well qualified him for the conduct of the business interests which he assumed. His early training made for deliberation and reflection, while following his removal to the west he became imbued with the progressive spirit that has led to the rapid and substantial development of the Mississippi valley. These qualities have made for an even balance in his business career, enabling him to avoid unwarranted risks or failures into which unrestricted progressiveness is so frequently led. He has been eminently successful and is highly regarded by all who have had relations with him. His ability to analyze correctly a subject and separate its important from Its incidental and accidental circumstances has been one of the strong features in his advancement. Aside from his connection with the glass company he has become vice president of the Overland Automobile Company, and a director of the Mississippi Valley Trust Company.

    On the 3rd of November, 1897, Herbert D. Condie married Miss Sallie Case King, of Chicago, a representative of the Jones family, which was one of the first to settle in that city. Three sons and two daughters have been born of this marriage: Douglas King, Bertha Botsford, Margaret Hallowell, Herbert Douglas, Jr., and Churchill Clarke.

    Mr. Condie is well known among amateur golf enthusiasts, is a devotee of bridge and is also considered an unusually good chess player. At his home he maintains a chemical laboratory, as completely equipped as is to be found in most universities, where he finds a pleasant avocation during his spare hours in continuing the study of analytical chemistry. He is fond of travel and the study of history, is one of the supporting members of the St. Louis Museum of Fine Arts and also belongs to the Chamber of Commerce. He belongs to Ferguson Lodge. A. F. & A. M., and in Missouri Consistory has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, and also belongs to Moolah Temple, Order of the Shrine. He is a member of the Noonday, St. Louis, Racquet, City, Sunset Hill and Bellerive Country Clubs. He is a director of the Barnard Skin and Cancer Hospital. While he has never sought to figure prominently in politics, he was city treasurer of Ferguson in 1900 and was a candidate on the citizens ticket for the office of mayor in 1905. He is an Episcopalian in religious belief, has been a member of the vestry of St. Stephen's church at Ferguson for the last twenty-three years and is now senior warden. He is often called upon to discuss public questions and to act as toastmaster, having won a reputation as a ready and entertaining speaker. He has taken an active part in raising money for various worthy causes and with America's entrance into the World war he was found strongly arrayed with those business men who were ready to sacrifice private interests to uphold the welfare of the country and promote that of the boys in camp and field. He had formerly been a member of Battery A of the Missouri National Guard and he became captain of Company K of the First Regiment of Missouri Home Guards. He acted as chairman for St. Louis County in the Red Cross campaign and was prominent in promoting various other war activities; and thus along constantly broadening lines of usefulness he has reached out for the benefit of mankind." —Centennial History of Missouri

Harry G. Neale:

  • "Neale, born in England in 1872, settled in St. Louis in the early 1890s. He first worked for the Crystal Plate Glass Company, which was connected with Pittsburg Plate Glass. Later, he went into business with H. D. Condie." Regarding Condie-Neale: "Its product is of superior quality, the methods of workmanship employed are standard and the affairs of the house are managed with the utmost regard to a progressive spirit and straightforward dealing." Mr. Neale was a member of Ferguson Lodge, AF & AM, a communicant of the Episcopal Church, with Republican party political affiliation. —St. Louis: history of the fourth city, 1763-1909, by Walter B. Stevens (St. Louis, 1909), vol. 2: 632.

Clarence Warner Condie:

  • "CONDIE, Clarence Warner, vice president Condie-Neale Glass Co.; born, Philadelphia, Apr. 16, 1877; son of Thomas Douglas and Mary Clara (Husted) Condie; educated in public schools of Philadelphia and St. Louis, and St. Louis High School, 1893; married, San Jose, Cal., Aug. 6, 1902, Mary Standish Pitman; two children: Mary Virginia, Clarence Douglas. After leaving school traveled in this country and abroad. With Smith & Davis Manufacturing Co., 1894-98; resigned to fill duty with National Guard in Spanish-American war. Returned to St. Louis, 1898, and engaged with St. Louis branch Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co., to 1901; then at general offices of company, Pittsburgh, until 1902; agent same company, Wheeling, W. Va., 1902-03. Returned to St. Louis, 1903, became secretary Condie-Neale Glass Co., and vice president since 1909. Also vice president Building Industries Association. Member Civic League, Zoological Society. Received medal from United States Congress for service with Battery A, Missouri Volunteers, Spanish-American war, Porto Rican Campaign, 1898. City treasurer Ferguson, Mo., 1901. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason (32°), Shriner. Clubs: Bellerive Country, City. Recreations: golf, hunting and fishing. Office: 2500 N. Broadway. Residence: 5379 Cabanne Ave." —The Book of St. Louisans, 1912 (2nd edition)
  • "Glass and glazing", issued by the National glass distributers ass'n. Saint Louis, Press of Kutterer-Jansen, 1916, 46 p., 11 illus. 23"; "Compiled ... for the National glass distributers association by Clarence Warner Condie." © Feb. 17, 1916; 2c. and aff. Feb. 23, 1916; A 427080; C. W. Condie, St. Louis. (16-6276) 1110

Joseph W. Bray:

  • Treasurer & resident manager, Campbell Glass & Paint Co., St. Louis, New Orleans, Kansas City, 338-340 Camp, Phone Main 3753 —1908 New Orleans City Directory
  • b.11/24/1865 (Eufaula, Alabama), d.6/5/1932 (St. Louis), Father Nathan M. Bray (New Haven, CT), Mother Kate Wells (CT) —Missouri State Archives: Missouri Death Certificates, 1910-1959 (#24157)

Links: