- 141, later 143 Centre Street, New York
- Works 26 St. & 11 Ave.
- At some point became J. B. (John B.) & J. M. Cornell
- "Cornell Iron Works has been owned and managed by the Cornell
family since 1828. In the 19th century, we were a manufacturer of
specialty ironwork, grates, railings, stairs, vaults and structural
and ornamental ironwork. The company originated in New York City
serving a regional market then later New England and the middle
- Designs Underfoot (Diana Stuart):
- "As Cornell's business increased, in 1856 adjoining lots
were leased and in 1859 larger foundries and fitting shops were
built at the foots of W. 26 St. and on the riverfront"
- "Cornell manufactured grates, fenders, iron railings, iron
doors, shutters, etc. at a number of locations.
- "An 1897 advertisement proclaims: 'Brooklyn Work a
Specialty. Built at our works 26 St. & 11 Av. Jobbing and
repairs of all kinds of ironwork and steamship repairs and
castings. 1,000 tons of beams, channels, angles, and plates
always in stock. Foundry capacity 20,000 tons per annum, heavy
and light castings'"
- "The corner building at Hudson and North Moore in Tribeca not only
has an exterior painted ad for Lakow Desks and Office Supplies, it
also has a vintage skylight by Cornell Iron Works.
This beautiful skylight is inlaid with violet-colored glass. Cornell
Iron Works also built many of Central Park's cast iron bridges."
--forgotten NY street scenes (manhole & coal chute covers)