Home Index Site Map Up: Hayward Navigation
Up: Hayward

First: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Dust Jacket Last: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 108 Prev: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 29 Next: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 31 Navigation
YOR: 31 of 109
·DJ ·28 ·56 ·84
·FC ·29 ·57 ·85
·1 ·30 ·58 ·86
·3 ·31 ·59 ·87
§4 ·32 ·60 ·88
§5 ·33 ·61 ·89
§6 ·34 ·62 ·90
·7 ·35 ·63 ·91
·8 ·36 ·64 ·92
§9 ·37 ·65 ·93
·10 §38 ·66 ·94
·11 ·39 ·67 §95
·12 ·40 §68 ·96
·13 ·41 ·69 ·97
·14 ·42 ·70 ·98
·15 ·43 ·71 ·99
·16 ·44 ·72 ·100
·17 ·45 ·73 ·101
·18 ·46 ·74 ·102
·19 ·47 ·75 ·103
·20 ·48 ·76 ·104
·21 ·49 ·77 ·105
·22 ·50 ·78 ·106
·23 ·51 ·79 ·107
·24 ·52 ·80 §108
·25 ·53 §81
·26 §54 ·82
§27 ·55 ·83
 
Edward Lambert Hayward Elizabeth Hayward
Edward Lambert Hayward Elizabeth Hayward

to purchase a share in Henry Leggatt's business, and provided finance for the partnership with his brother. Leggatt sold both prints and frames; frames needed glass and Edward Hayward might supply it. So it was that in 1848 the firm of Leggatt and Hayward, came into being and the long and successful connection with Chater and Hayward was brought to an end.
    In October 1848, owing to ill-health Henly inserted an advertisement in The Builder offering his business for sale for £3,000 stating that it brought in £650 a year and inviting offers. As a result, Edward and William Hayward acquired the business and goodwill, trading under the name of Hayward Brothers. The first advertisement of the new firm appeared early in January, so that it is likely the transfer dated from 1st January 1849.
    Little time was lost in adapting Henly's business to their own ideas. New brooms sweep clean. The Dog's Head in the Pot premises became the offices and showrooms and the foundry in Union Street, completely re-built and modernised by Henly six years earlier, was converted to new uses. The ancient sign seems to have captivated the brothers for they immediately adopted