YOR: 32 of 109
it as their trade mark on all bill-headings and advertisements, and
where appropriate on the articles they made. Even at that date, it
was attracting the attention of historians. The following communication
appeared in Notes and Queries for 1850.|
"In April 1850, Hayward Bros. (Late Henly &
Co.), wholesale and manufacturing ironmongers, 196, Blackfriars Road and
117/118, Union Street, Borough (who state their business to have been
established in 1783) put forth an advertisement headed with a woodcut
of a dog eating out of a three-legged pot."
In his twenty years' trading, Henly had fostered
much goodwill. The Hayward brothers attached some value to his name and
until 1855, the qualification "Late R. Henly & Co." was printed or
impressed under their own name.
The two Hayward brothers were strong advocates
of new methods and ideas. The same year that they broke away from family
ties and started up independently in Southwark, Mr. John Sheringham of
Kensington had perfected an invention known as Sheringham's Ventilator,
the purpose of which, as the name suggests, was "the introduction of fresh
air without a draught."
The brothers were already engaged in the manufacture
of Dr. Arnott's Chimney Valves for "carrying off the heated and
impure air." The ventilator was a second step towards better hygiene.
For some time, medical opinion had been attacking the appalling conditions
not only in home and factory but also in public places and other buildings
supposedly devoted to education and enlightenment. An article in The
Times calling attention to the evils of defective ventilation stated:
"It is known when the atmosphere is in a choleraic condition that the
overcrowding of human beings under the same roof, and in the same apartment,
is almost invariably followed by an outbreak of disease. A very remarkable
instance of this kind occurred at Taunton in the beginning of June, 1849.
The terrible rapidity with which the disease developed in the workhouse of
that town must still be in the recollection of the public. The girls'
schoolroom was a slated shed, 50 feet long, 9 feet 10 inches broad, and
7 feet 9 inches in