Home Index Site Map Up: Hayward Navigation
Up: Hayward

First: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Dust Jacket Last: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 108 Prev: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 72 Next: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 74 Navigation
YOR: 74 of 109
·DJ ·28 ·56 ·84
·FC ·29 ·57 ·85
·1 ·30 ·58 ·86
·3 ·31 ·59 ·87
§4 ·32 ·60 ·88
§5 ·33 ·61 ·89
§6 ·34 ·62 ·90
·7 ·35 ·63 ·91
·8 ·36 ·64 ·92
§9 ·37 ·65 ·93
·10 §38 ·66 ·94
·11 ·39 ·67 §95
·12 ·40 §68 ·96
·13 ·41 ·69 ·97
·14 ·42 ·70 ·98
·15 ·43 ·71 ·99
·16 ·44 ·72 ·100
·17 ·45 ·73 ·101
·18 ·46 ·74 ·102
·19 ·47 ·75 ·103
·20 ·48 ·76 ·104
·21 ·49 ·77 ·105
·22 ·50 ·78 ·106
·23 ·51 ·79 ·107
·24 ·52 ·80 §108
·25 ·53 §81
·26 §54 ·82
§27 ·55 ·83
 
    The business continued to expand during the first decade of the twentieth century. In 1905, the leaded glass undertaking of Britten and Gilson closed down and their late manager was engaged by Haywards to conduct a newly-formed leaded glass department. A representative was appointed to operate from Birmingham as his centre and it was his duty to develop the already substantial connection in the Midlands and the West Country.
    It was plain to the directors at this stage that once more the Union Street works were being subjected to too great a strain as a result of new orders. This led to the erection of a large new five storey building planned on modern lines with a lift at a central point communicating with the several floors. The original designs were prepared by Eckstein and these formed the basis of the plans of the architects.
    Within the works, G. F. Pittar had been encouraging two new types of manufacture, collapsible steel gates and Copperlite fire-resisting glazing. His good work in these departments was rewarded by a seat on the Board to which he was elected in December 1906. This year the capital of the company was increased to £75,00.
    The Manchester branch, second only in importance to the London headquarters, had also grown proportionately, requiring larger premises in Simpson Street with their own workshops so that local pavement light orders could be supplied direct. Glasgow, however, showed no improvement. "Returns from the district are still very disappointing" reported the Secretary at the Annual General Meeting, adding: "But the building trade there is very depressed." A 999 years' lease of the present headquarters Nos. 187/189, Union Street was acquired in 1907.
    Further, patent rights for the Reform puttyless glazing were acquired the same year and this was brought within the scope of manufacture as soon as could be arranged.
    J. G. Willmore, who had served fifteen years with the firm since Cottam and Willmore were absorbed, was made a director