Home Index Site Map Up: Keppler Glass Constructions, Inc. Navigation
Up: Keppler Glass Constructions, Inc.
1916 Article in National Glass Budget
Home  > Prism Glass  > United States  > Keppler Glass Constructions, Inc.  > 1916 Article
First: 1915 Ad in The Brickbvilder Last: 1918 Article in American Architect Prev: 1916 Postcard to J. R. Gordon Esq., NYC Next: 1918 Article in American Architect Navigation
Paper: 4 of 5

GLASS FOR HEAVY SERVICE.
The "Railway Age Gazette" of Chicago, in its issue of February 18, says:
An interesting form of glass construction has been introduced recently into this country by the Keppler Glass Constructions, Inc., New York City, for use in roofs, skylights, windows. partitions and ceilings. The applications have extensive variations, but the idea is the same in each case and involves the use of square blocks of pressed glass supported by ribs of reinforced concrete, one or both of the exposed faces of the glass having irregular surfaces, with the result that although the glass is clear the light is diffused in transmission, producing a translucent effect. Another distinctive feature is the channeling or grooving of the four sides of the blocks, whereby the supporting ribs are partially or entirely enclosed by the glass. as a result of which the glass surfaces are practically continuous on one or both sides. Owing to the diffusion of the light the ribs supporting the glass are revealed only indistinctly by shadows, giving very much the appearance of a continuous glass structure.
Keppler Glass Constructions article, National Glass Budget, March 4, 1916
National Glass Budget · March 4, 1916
Glass units of plain design are provided for use in industrial buildings. but where appearance is of importance, a variety of appropriate designs are available. The units are furnished in clear glass or in a golden amber.
The glass blocks vary from 3½ to 6 inches in size with thicknesses to correspond. The strength of the floor is modified as required by the service and can readily be made strong enough to carry the loads obtained by trucking on station platforms. The glass is annealed to eliminate internal stresses and is examined with a polariscope to insure this being done properly. The reinforced concrete is made of one part of slow-setting Portland cement and two parts of sand. Expansion and contraction are taken care of by an elastic light-reflecting cushion around each unit and an open joint of 1/12 inch between the blocks on the under side. Expansion joints are also provided in the floor slabs at suitable intervals. The completed work is covered with wet sand for several days to prevent drying out before thorough setting has taken-place. This construction is waterproof and highly fire resistant.
The glass partitions are of similar construction except that the glass sections are lighter, as less strength is required and the supporting ribs are completely enclosed on both sides. In the glass ceilings the units are supported by copper ribs, or in the case of long spans small structural steel T or I-beams are worked into the design. The copper glazed panels are completed in the factory and installed on the steel or reinforced concrete roof framing. The distinguishing feature of these ceilings is their substantial structural appearance. While in many ornamental glass ceilings there is a tendency toward a flimsy appearance, out of harmony with substantial architecture, the Keppler ceiling lights are made up of glass units, ornamented in relief which carry out the general architectural style of the room. In this way a break in appearance is avoided between the glass ceiling and the rest of the architecture. These ceilings lend themselves readily to ornamental treatment and are adaptable to all kinds of construction.
The Keppler glass construction has had extensive use throughout Europe and has recently been installed in buildings in America. Recent railroad installations include 50,000 sq. ft. of skylights in the Bush train shed for the Lehigh Valley passenger station at Buffalo, and for the Lehigh Valley roundhouse at Sayre, Pa. Contracts have also been let for installations in the Lackawanna station at Buffalo and the Pennsylvania station at Johnstown, Pa.