July 16, 2010
July 7, 2010
July 3, 2010
- New Babson Surge Electric Stock Control bulletin.
- Photo of British Luxfer Syndicate glazier's sample
with prism tile (simplified variation of Frank Lloyd Wright design)
and stained glass work, set in electro-glazed copper.
June 26, 2010
- Three new pieces added For Sale:
- über-rare Byllesby micarta-core suspension insulator
- Cutter tree insulator embedded in a tree trunk
- rare CD 306 Lynchburg power piece
- Started transcribing interesting bits from section 31 of the 1936-38
Architect's Standard Catalogue (Daylight Increasing Devices
and Pavement Lights):
June 10, 2010
- Gallery of the fantastic Párisi Udvar
in the Brudern Ház in Budapest, Hungary, including Luxfer
vault lights, courtesy Krisztina Kecskés, a glass artist of
- New addition to the illuminated coalhole cover collection:
18" Jacob Mark
- Identified new vault light makers (from the goldmine which is
the 1905-06 Thomas' Register):
- American Mason Safety Tread Co.
- E. T. Barnum Wire & Iron Works
- Bartlett, Haywood & Co.
- Wm. Bayley & Sons Co.
- Brown & Ketcham Iron Works
- Carr & Andrews Corporation
- Chas. F. Ernst
- Chelmsford Foundry Co.
- Chicago Sidewalk Light Co.
- Chicasaw Iron Works
- Christopher & Simpson Architectural Iron & Foundry Co.
- S. J. Creswell Iron Works
- Crown Iron Works
- Thos. Dimond
- Fletcher & Crowell Co.
- Globe Iron & Foundry Co.
- L. M. Ham & Co.
- Hetherington & Berner
- F. L. Heughes & Co.
- Horrocks Iron Works
- Madison Avenue Foundry Co.
- Mahony Manufacturing Co.
- Megquier & Jones Co.
- Merritt & Co.
- Minneapolis Steel & Machinery Co.
- New Jersey Foundry & Machine Co.
- New York Prism Co.
- Northwestern Foundry (S. T. Ferguson, Prop.)
- Paxton & Vierling Iron Works
- Phoenix Steel Construction Co.
- Ransome & Smith Co.
- P. Rieseck
- Russell Wheel & Foundry Co.
- St. Paul Foundry Co.
- L. Schreiber & Sons Co.
- Smith Wire & Iron Works
- Snead Architectural Iron Works
- Steward & Stevens Iron Works
- W. & J. Tiebout
- Van Dorn Iron Works Co.
- Vulcan Co.
- Wallace Foundry & Machine Co.
- Youngstown Wire & Iron Co.
May 28, 2010
- Group portrait of original deck prisms
and deck prism gallery
- New whatsit in the gallery (bottom right)
— can you identify it, or anything on this page?
- Multipart suspension insulators information and pictures on the
suspension insulators page
- Transcribed prism glass patents for 1899—that ends the 20th
- D30,000 · W. B. Jacobs · Design for a Glass or Light
- D30,001 · W. B. Jacobs · Design for a Glass or Light
- D30,002 · W. B. Jacobs · Design for a Glass or Light
- 618,280 · Manning · Window and Light-Reflecting Device
- D30,144 · J. Jacobs · Design for a Lens or Glass for Gratings
- D30,145 · J. Jacobs · Design for a Lens or Glass for Gratings
- 619,575 · J. Jacobs · Light for Sidewalks &c.
- D30,446 · S. Marcus · Design for a Glass Light
- 622,506 · Manning · Illuminating Window-Glass
- D30,471 · Lubin & Dryfoos · Design for a Prism-Plate
- D30,472 · Soper · Design for a Vault-Light
- 625,090 · Soper · Sidewalk-Light
- D30,964 · Schmitt · Design for a Window-Light
- 627,848 · Fugman · Glass Prism-Plate
- 630,337 · French · Sidewalk or Floor Construction
- 630,706 · J. Jacobs · Illuminating-Tile
- 631,220 · Manning · Illuminating Window-Glass
- 632,710 · Gallagher · Floor Construction
- 634,054 · Briganti · Illuminating-Tile
- D31,762 · Locke · Design for a Plate or Pane of Glass
- D31,763 · Locke · Design for a Plate or Pane of Glass
- D31,764 · Locke · Design for a Plate or Pane of Glass
- D31,811 · Brown · Design for a Prism-Plate
- 637,145 · Moffat & Dobbins · Light-Projecting Glass
- 640,012 · McCormack · Prismatic Sidewalk-Light
- More Condie-Neale Glass Co.
information, including this 1914 catalog page showing their prism tiles
- More Chanteloup Foundry information,
but still don't even know his name— just "E."! Help!
- Pics of my new Clear/Blue Hemi-42,
the rarest of the Clear/Blues (thanks Dave!)
- Panoramic photos of a Luxfer prism installation in Omaha, Nebraska, courtesy Jeff Wurstner
May 25, 2010
May 9, 2010
- Prism glass from 1927-28 Sweet's Architectural Catalogue:
- Photos of Hayward Bros vault lights in Dunedin, New Zealand courtesy Doug Hopkins
- Jacobs & Sons vault light page with
1907/08 Sweet's entry
- Interesting new glass block patent turned up by Dr. Guedes: 1851 ·
13,653 · William Bridges Adams · "Certain Improvements
in the Construction of Roads and Ways for the Transit of Passengers,
of Materials, and Goods; Also in Buildings and in Bridges, and
in Locomotive Engines and Carriages; Part of which Improvements
are applicable to other purposes". Added this to my index but I don't
have a copy yet and espacenet.com draws a blank. Pedro sends this
excerpt (since the glass block idea is buried in a long a rambling
patent which covers a lot of ground):
Another part of my improvements in building relates to the
construction and application of glass bricks. These bricks
can be cast in moulds, and are to be either hollow or solid;
but they can be cast with dovetails, fillets, or joggles, on
one side, and with corresponding hollows on the other side,
or with tongues and grooves, so that they will build together
without cement, or with the elastic piping or cording before
described. And they may be shaped so as to form vertical
transparent walls, or to form domes and arches of any color
or combination desired; but in all cases they are to be
dovetailed, or filletted, or joggled, or tongued and grooved,
or with corresponding projections and cavities, in order
to fit together without cement. The various modes of dovetailing,
or filletting, or joggling, or tonguing and grooving, are so
well understood that Drawings are not required to explain them;
and the glass bricks may be of any desired form that will build
into walls, with or without iron or other framings to support
them; and, when made hollow, these glass bricks may contain
colored or other liquids, or they can be arranged for fish to