YOR: 31 of 113
must have suffered to distraction from the polite attentions of his
sisters until he too took refuse in the arms of his bride.|
The year 1847 was important for the Hayward
family as a whole. John Hayward, head of the family, guardian and
guiding influence, died, bequeathing his business in Newgate Street
to his son George, with whom he had been in partnership for many years.
Having only one daughter who, as an exception to the family rule, had
married, he consoled himself in the company of his five nieces who
ingratiated themselves sufficiently to be left ten pounds apiece, the
daughter merely receiving a portrait of her father.
The death of the head of the family signalised
a marked departure from the established order of things, particularly
in the lives of his nephews, who now decided to branch out for themselves.
It is not known why Edward and William chose this time to sever the forty
years' connection with Chater and Hayward. Possibly, their father's
trustee, John Hayward, had been against such a step, and Edward had been
waiting until William was experienced enough to enter into a separate
partnership with him. The most likely motive, however, was Edward's
desire to invest in an enterprise far removed from that in which he had
been previously engaged.
In 1845, a Mr. Henry Leggatt, print and bookseller
of 79, Cornhill, had been elected Master of the Worshipful Company of
Glass Sellers, and was doubtless known to Edward Hayward.
It is probable that Henry Leggatt needed not only a partner but also
additional capital to run his fashionable galleries. Such funds as Edward
Hayward possessed were tied up in Chater and Hayward. Dissolution of that
partnership would have enabled him
Hayward's first advertisement, 1849