Home Index Site Map Up: Hayward Navigation
Up: Hayward

First: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Dust Jacket Last: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 108 Prev: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 33 Next: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 35 Navigation
YOR: 35 of 109
·DJ ·28 ·56 ·84
·FC ·29 ·57 ·85
·1 ·30 ·58 ·86
·3 ·31 ·59 ·87
§4 ·32 ·60 ·88
§5 ·33 ·61 ·89
§6 ·34 ·62 ·90
·7 ·35 ·63 ·91
·8 ·36 ·64 ·92
§9 ·37 ·65 ·93
·10 §38 ·66 ·94
·11 ·39 ·67 §95
·12 ·40 §68 ·96
·13 ·41 ·69 ·97
·14 ·42 ·70 ·98
·15 ·43 ·71 ·99
·16 ·44 ·72 ·100
·17 ·45 ·73 ·101
·18 ·46 ·74 ·102
·19 ·47 ·75 ·103
·20 ·48 ·76 ·104
·21 ·49 ·77 ·105
·22 ·50 ·78 ·106
·23 ·51 ·79 ·107
·24 ·52 ·80 §108
·25 ·53 §81
·26 §54 ·82
§27 ·55 ·83
 
working out designs of their own. One of the first of these was The Registered Cottagers' (and Emigrants') Stove, which was advertised as suitable for "Private Families, Gentlemen in Chambers, Shooting Boxes, Fishing and Pic-nic Parties, &c."
    For their first two or three years in the Borough, the Hayward brothers seem to have been content to develop and exploit Coal plate of 1853 inventions from other hands. In 1852, however, Edward Hayward applied for patent rights for "Self-Adjusting Micrometer Lock Spindles, Knobs and Rises," which were granted. Here the influence of his uncle, James Hayward, is apparent as it had been with chimney valves and smoke consumers which that gentlemen had made and sold some thirty years earlier.
    As the nineteenth century moved forward, so the residential character of that part of Southwark where the Haywards traded became gradually merged and finally submerged in an atmosphere of manufacturing. This meant that furnishing ironmongery in the immediate neighborhood was a dying trade. The accent shifted to the needs of builders and manufacturers.
    Without realising it, Hayward Brothers were slowly departing from the tradition represented by the ancient sign which hung over their headquarters premises in Blackfriars Road and were entering a new sphere embracing not merely Southwark, not only London, England, or the United Kingdom, but the whole world.
    As if to underline the fact, the decision was reached to abandon the corner premises in Blackfriars Road and concentrate upon developing and extending those previously used solely as a factory at 117/118, Union Street. This was a significant decision. It means that Haywards no longer kept a shop or thought in terms of washers or tin-tacks but had set out on the broad road leading to the more profitable wholesale market. This was in