YOR: 83 of 113
|"Progress is the law of life."|
The end of the first world
war brought the whole future of Haywards under review. The considerable
extensions to the Union Street premises in 1906 absorbing Nos. 195/201
had been planned for production methods and materials now out-moded and
the directors decided therefore to take advantage of the urgent demand for
warehouses and other buildings in the centre of London to dispose of this
part of their property. Accordingly, in July 1919, this section was sold.
This was the first move in the decentralisation of
what had hitherto been concentrated in Union Street. Obviously, with so
comprehensive a development in manufacture, the old Union Street premises,
acquired piecemeal, were no long suitable for modern economical production.
Labour was becoming more costly and the reception and storage of materials
growing more difficult, aso adding to expense.
The decision to dispose of Nos. 195/201 was no
"step in the dark," as William Eckstein might have put it. Undoubtedly,
in pressing the necessity for complete re-organisation on the production
side, H. T. Walker took the initiative and from start to finish carried
the whole scheme through. His fellow directors, whilst enthusiastically
supporting the scheme, were content to defer to his judgment on every
aspect of the new project, for he had