Home Index Site Map Up: Hyatt Navigation
Up: Hyatt
Theodore Hyatt · Obituary · New York Herald · 1879
Home  > Prism Glass  > United States  > Hyatt  > Theodore Obit
First: Hyatt's Patent Extension Case · Commissioner Bishop's Decision · 1859 Last: Thaddeus Hyatt Biography · Prof. Charles M. Spofford · February 19, 1913 Prev: Senate Prisoner Goes Free · June 25, 1860 Next: Hyatt vs Ingalls and Mark · 1887 Navigation
Articles: 6 of 11

Theodore Hyatt, sixty-five years of age, committed suicide yesterday, at his place of business, No. 25 Waverly place, by shooting himself in the head. The deceased was a member of the firm of Hyatt Brothers, manufacturers of patent vault lights. He was the inventive and mechanical genius of the firm and devoted all his life to the invention and improvement of the patent vault lights, which are protected in his right by over forty patents. He had also achieved great success in other modifications of the vault lights, such as illuminating encaustic tiles, non-condensing skylights, corrugated copper skylights, floor lights and vault covers. The firm, up to a few years ago, was considered to be in a prosperous condition, but lately business reverses are said to have set in. This depression had a corresponding effect on the mind and general health of the deceased. For some time past he had been under medical treatment for a nervous complaint, which took the form of insomnia; but it was never suspected that this affection would take a suicidal turn.
About noon yesterday one of the employees, Jacob Jacobs, while passing Mr. Hyatt's office on the second floor, heard what he describes as a "gurgling noise." He tried to enter by the door; but finding it was locked, he entered an adjoining room, and by going out on the cornice, which is protected by a long wooden sign, he reached a window of Mr. Hyatt's office and opened it. He saw deceased seated on a chair, with a Smith & Wesson seven-barrelled revolver in his hand. Dr. Maxwell, of Macdougal street, was notified; but before his arrival life was extinct.
Coroner Woltman, accompanied by his deputy, Mr. Cushman, proceeded to the scene of the tragedy and took testimony. Jacob Jacobs related substantially the facts above stated, and Dr. Edward Seguin, of West Twentieth street, deposed that the deceased for the past two years had been suffering from insomnia.
Deputy Coroner Cushman probed the fatal wound, which was in the right temple, and found that the ball had penetrated the brain. Mr. Hyatt, as he appeared in death, was handsome, well preserved and venerable looking. His white, scanty locks served to cover the wound in the temple, and no blood was visible on the hair or around the mouth of the wound.
Upon the recent organization of the New York Electric Light Company, the deceased, who had interested himself in its success, was appointed secretary and treasurer of the company. He resided at No. 46 Morton street with his wife and two children — a son and a daughter. —New York Herald, Thursday, January 9, 1879
New York Herald, January 9, 1879