- "...successor to the Geo. Androvette Co."
- "A. W. Gee, mngr" · Cleveland City Directory · 1899
- "LUMINOUS PRISM COMPANY—Incorporated under the laws of Illinois,
in 1898, to manufacture prisms of all kinds. Capital authorized,
$1,500,000. Par, $100. Officers and Directors: F. W. Peck, President;
P. L. Wright, Treasurer; L. C. Straight, Secretary; C. I. Peck,
G. E. Androvette, J. W. Brooke, A. R. Barnes, A. H. Revell. Office,
604 Broadway, New York." · Moody's Manual of Industrial and Miscellaneous Securities · 1900
FOR DWELLINGS AND
The Best Work at Lowest Prices.
LUMINOUS PRISM CO.
GEO. E. ANDROVETTE & CO.
27-29 SO. CLINTON STREET,
Inland Architect and News Record · 1901
- "There are 75 stained glass windows ranging in size from 3 square
feet to 1,080 square feet. They were made by the Luminous Prism Co. of
Chicago, successor to the Geo. Androvette Co. The largest, of 1,080
square feet, fills the north wall of the auditorium. There are three
sections with painted glass centers of lilies, grapes, palm fronds and
passionflowers. At or near the top the window are, from left to right,
a dove, a crown and a sheaf of grain. The remainder of the window is
comprised of small panes of varied colors and shapes. Also included
in strategic locations are red and yellow "jewels"." —Construction of the Central Congregational Church Building
- Central Congregational Church, Galesburg, Illinois
- Galesburg, Knox County: "Built in 1898 of Michigan red
sandstone in the Richardson Romanesque style, Central
Congregational Church, located one block north of Standish
Park, was placed on the National Register on Sept. 30, 1976.
The church covers nearly a quarter of the block and its bell
tower rises to 137 feet. It has 75 stained glass windows
ranging in size from 3 square feet to 1,080 square feet,
made by the Luminous Prism Co. of Chicago. The largest
window has three sections and fills the north wall of the
- The Construction of Central Congregational Church
- St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Rome, GA
- The Guardian Angel Window / Located in the Church / Given in 1898 by Mr. W. A. Knowles,
in memory of Mrs. May H. Knowles / Made by Luminous
Prism Co., Chicago, IL at a cost of $225 / Twice partially
destroyed by storms / Present window made entirely new
- The Perkins Window / Located in the Church /
Given in 1898 by Mrs. John N. Perkins family /
Made by Luminous Prism Co., Chicago, IL at a cost of $52 /
Inscriptions on windows - John N. Perkins &
Mary E. Perkins
- The Resurrection Window / Located in the Church / Given in 1898 by the congregation
and others in memory of Rev. W. C. Williams, D.D. /
Made by Luminous Prism Co., Chicago, IL at a cost of $52
- The Underwood Window / Located in the Church /
Given in 1899 by Mrs. M. A. Nevin and sisters / Made by
Luminous Prism Co., Chicago, IL at a cost of $65 /
Inscriptions on windows - John W. H. Underwood,
Mary W. Underwood, William H. Underwood
- Windows by Geo. E. Androvette:
- Other windows are mostly by:
- Lyn Hovey Studio, Inc., Boston, MA;
also Quaker City Stained Glass Co., Philadelphia, PA,
Empire Art Glass Co., Atlanta, GA, H. M. Hooker Co., Chicago, IL,
Agnew Myers Studio, Menlo, Georgia, Otto Jungk
Suit was brought in the Superior Court at Chicago on the 18th
inst. by the American Luxfer Prism Company against the Luminous Prism
Company for an injunction to restrain it and its oflicers from alleged
fraudulent business methods in the manufacture and sale of prismatic
window glass. The officers of the Luminous Prism Company, Ferd. W. Peck,
president; George E. Adrovette, vice-president; Lewis G. Straight,
secretary; Parry L. Wright, treasurer, with Jonathan W. Brooks and
Alexander H. Revell, directors, are made co-defendants in the suit. The
plaintiff alleges that the defendant company is carrying on its business
by a wrongful infringement upon the name and trade mark of the American
Luxfer Prism Company and is deceiving the public into the belief that
its window glass is the same as that manufactured by the plaintiff. It
is further alleged that for this purpose the Luminous Prism Company has
taken offices in the same building with the plaintiff. The court is
asked to enjoin the use of the words "Luminous Prisms" and the name of
"Luminous Prism Company."
Paint, Oil and Chemical Review, Volume 26, No 1. · July 6, 1898
A STATEMENT BY THE LUMINOUS PRISM COMPANY.
In view of certain statements recently made by a competitive company,
concerning its patents, the Luminous Prism Company informs the public
that its patents of 1891 antedate all other patents now used in the
manufacture of prism glass.
A number of the most eminent patent law firms of the country have
rendered opinions that the patents under which the Luminous company
is operating do not and cannot in any way infringe upon any other
The Luminous company certainly has strong men behind it, who enjoy
the confidence of the community, and who will absolutely protect its
customers in every way against claims for infringements.
The Luminous prism is declared by experts to be the best prism in
the market, the refraction and diffusion of light by reason of its
corrugated prism patent, No. 458850,
dated September 1, 1891, being 25 per cent greater than any other.
The Luminous Prism Company has endeavored to pursue a "live and
let live" policy, and to that company should be given the credit of
materially reducing the price of prisms, thereby placing them within
reach of all who wish to enjoy the benefits of daylight in dark rooms,
stores and offices. Prior to the appearance of this company such benefits
were almost prohibited by a practical monopoly.
Among the large number of installations already made, the following
names will show that there are many who refuse to be intimidated in
the exercise of their vested rights, and who encourage competition,
enterprise and advancement:
The Economist: A Weekly Financial, Commercial, and Real-estate Newspaper, Volume 20 · August 27, 1898
- Security Deposit Company, Madison street and Fifth avenue.
- Potter Palmer, for Baptist Publication Society, 177 Wabash avenue,
- Cameron, Amberg & Co., 71 and 73 Lake street, Chicago.
- C. Seipp Brewing Company, Twenty-seventh street and Illinois
Central Railroad, Chicago.
- Laflin & Rand Powder Company, 42 Dearborn street, Chicago.
- Morrisson, Plummer & Co., 200 to 206 Randolph street, Chicago.
- Rialto building, Van Buren street and Pacific avenue, Chicago.
- Harry Berger & Co., 154 and 156 Dearborn street, Chicago.
- Eckhart & Swan, 207 and 209 East Madison street, Chicago.
- Metcalf Stationery Company, 86 Wabash avenue, Chicago.
- Lanz, Owen & Co., 183 to 189 Lake street, Chicago.
- Garrett Biblical Institute, 234 East Lake street, Chicago.
- A. H. Revell & Co., Wabash avenue and Adams street, Chicago.
- 4731 Calumet avenue, Chicago (fiat building).
- E. J. Alfeld, 201 Rush street, Chicago.
- Chicago Stock Exchange building, Washington and La Salle streets,
- C. McClennen, 3822 Ellis avenue (flat building), Chicago.
- L. B. Schaefer, 1047 North Clark street, Chicago.
- J. M. Studebaker, South Bend, Ind. American Baptist Publication
Society, St. Louis, Mo.
- Smith-Premier Typewriter Company, 337 Broadway, New York.
- Rhinelander Estate, 604 Broadway, New York.
- George Bickelhoupt, 234 West Forty-seventh street, New York.
- Richards Bennetts, 133 William street, New York.
- Glascoe & Co., 52 West Thirty-ninth street, New York.
- Eaton & Mains, Fifth avenue and Twentieth street, New York.
- Best & Co., New York.
- German Fire Insurance Company of Indiana, Indianapolis, Ind.
- New Bedford Institution for Savings, New Bedford, Mass.
- W. A. Giles, 298 and 300 Wabash avenue, Chicago.
- Northwestern University Dental School, Madison and Franklin
- Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railway Company's general
- E. B. Quinlan, 218 Washington street, Chicago.
- Jacob Franks, 128 and 130 Franklin street, Chicago.
- J. M. Williams, Fifth avenue and Madison street, Chicago.
- R. W. Patton, apartment building, Chicago.
- J. B. Hobbs, 97 Washington street, Chicago.
- Hartford building, Dearborn and Madison streets, Chicago.
- Mead & Coe, 100 Washington street, Chicago.
- Estate L. C. P. Freer, 78 and 80 Randolph street, Chicago.
- Royal Insurance building, La Salle and Jackson streets, Chicago.
- M. L. Barrett, 219 Lake street, Chicago.
- Francis Bartlett, Bay State building, 74 State street, Chicago.
- Estate Hugh T. Dickey, 84 and 86 Dearborn street, Chicago.
- L. Schlesinger, factory, Rees street, Chicago.
- Thomas A. Lyon, Lyon, Gary & Co., Chicago.
- First National Bank, Cleveland, Ohio.
- J. Spalding & Co., Detroit, Mich.
- Charles L. Smith & Sons, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- New York Telephone Company, New York.
- Bank of Montreal, New York.
- National Exchange Bank, Albany, N. Y.
- Bank of Syracuse, Syracuse, N. Y.
- Ladies' Home Journal, Philadelphia, Pa.
- William Mann & Co , Philadelphia, Pa.
- J. B. Stetson & Co., Philadelphia, Pa.
IS your Store or Office Dark?
will change the condition.
It costs nothing to investigate.
Telephone us or send card,
and we will survey your
premises and submit
results as represented.
Luminous Prism Co.
709 Mohawk Building, 160 5th av.
The Sun, April 4, 1898 (LOC)
Telephone—2816 18th st.
- Union Station (1001 Broadway, Nashville, TN): "The Luminous
Prism Company, Chicago, Illinois, furnished and placed all the art
glass in the dome, transom, and windows from special and appropriate
color and design. The designer is not specified."
—Historical American Buildings Survey (NPS via LOC)
- "The contract for the art for Emmaus Lutheran church was let to
the Luminous Prism Company, of Chicago, their bid being $900."
—The Fort Wayne Evening Sentinel · March 1, 1900
- "Meyer J. Sturm (1872-1954) was a nationally renowned specialist
in hospital design and expert in the latest technologies for
institutional buildings. He received a B.S. in Architecture from the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1896. In Chicago he worked
as a draftsman and superintendent for various architects, then as
chief engineer for the Luminous Prism Co. from 1898 to 1900. From
1900 to 1902 he was in partnership with Lawrence Gustav Hallberg,
an architect of Swedish descent who later designed Augustana Hospital
in consultation with Sturm." LANDMARK DESIGNATION REPORT · North Chicago Hospital Building
- 1898 ad in
The Sun, Apr 4 1898:
"Is your Store or Office Dark? Luminous Prisms will change the
condition. They CARRY DAYLIGHT. It costs nothing to investigate.
Telephone us or send card, and we will survey your premises and
submit proposition, guaranteeing results as represented. Luminous
Prism Co. / 709 Mohawk Building, 160 5th av. / Telephone 2816 18th st."
- "Luminous Prism Co. (dissolved) 473 W. B'way"
—Trow's Copartnership and Corporation Directory of New York City · 1901
- "From 1995 to 2002, the county spent $8.6 million, most of
it from private donors, restoring the Allen County Courthouse
— among other things, removing the damage inept artists had
done to the murals far above the floor. ... In all, it will
cost about $350,000 to make the repairs to the murals, created
by Charles Holloway, who had won a gold medal in the Chicago
World's Columbian Exposition, and to the windows, created
by Luminous Prism Co., a direct competitor of Louis Comfort Tiffany."
—The Journal Gazette · 2017
- "Daylight vs. Darkness. A new window or window shade has
been placed in the front of the Thorn-Halliwell Cement Company,
No. 107 East Tenth street, and it attracts much attention. It is
a window made of refracting prisms by the Luminous Prism Company,
of Chicago. These prisms represent the highest science of light.
Advantage Is taken of the natural law of refraction and by an
ingenious arrangement of angles in the surface of the glass the
light is thrown to various parts of the room, changing the dark
corners to light ones. The advantage of daylight over any other
kind of light is known to everyone. It is the cheapest, the best,
the healthiest. Luminous prisms have solved the problem of lighting
dark offices and basements. The effect is almost startling when
the darkness changes to light as the prism shutters are opened
or closed. Those who are interested in solving the light or dark
question can obtain information at No. 107 East Tenth street,
where visitors are welcomed." —Kansas City Journal, June 15, 1898 (LOC)