Home Index Site Map Up: United States Navigation
Up: United States
J. C. French & Sons
Home  > Prism Glass  > United States  > French & Sons
First: American 3-Way Prism Company Last: United States Glass Company Prev: Excelsior Iron Works Next: Albert Grauer & Company Navigation
US: 25 of 53

J. C. French & Sons business card J. C. French ad in 1893 Trow's City Directories for New York
Trow's City Directories for New York, 1893

Location:

J. C. French pamphlet ca 1890
Patent Vault, Sidewalk, Floor, Roof, and Sky Lights
J. C. French & Sons, New York, ca 1890, 2p (front & back).
JPG ~4MB: tar|zip|pdf or PNG ~28MB: tar|zip|pdf
  • 155 West Broadway, New York
  • 537 Canal Street, New York
  • Branch Works: 357 West Randolph St., Chicago

Timeline:

  • 1872-1895-?

History:

  • James Constantine French, b.1826 (Descendant of Edward French of Salisbury, MA?)
  • Son, Richard R. French, b.1852
  • See Famous Frenches at the French Family Association web site
  • "FRENCH VAULT-LIGHT MANUFACTURING CO.: Jacob G. Curtis, President; R. Carter, Secretary and Treasurer; J. C. French, Vice President and Superintendent; 52 and 54 South Clinton street. Established in 1872, with a capital of $100,000; number of employes, 40; weekly pay-roll, $550; value of annual production, $85,000. This Company manufactures specially the French Sidewalk, Roof and Vault Lights. Among the buildings supplied with these lights are several of Hon. J. Y. Scammon's; Hale & Ayer's new building; Hall, Kimbark & Co.'s, and many others." The glory of Chicago · 1873
  • "The French Vault-Light Company, Jacob G. Curtis, R. Carter and J. C. French, officers, established their works at 54 South Clinton street in 1872, and employed forty men. Sidewalk, roof and vault lights were placed in the J. Y. Scammon, the Hale & Ayer and Hall & Kimbark buildings that year." —Industrial Chicago, 1891
  • "Corner (155 W Broadway): This 1865 Renaissance Revival building by Jardine, Hill and Murdoch originally housed J.C. French & Sons, manufacturers of sidewalk trapdoors and skylights. Now it's a supplementary courthouse for the New York City Supreme Court." —New York Songlines: Thomas Street

Paper:

Links: