Home Index Site Map Up: United States Navigation
Up: United States
Althause Iron Works
Home  > Prism Glass  > United States  > Althause
First: American 3-Way Prism Company Last: Westing & Hafers' Iron Works Prev: Alpha Glass and Metal Co. Next: American Bar-Lock Company Navigation
US: 4 of 64

Althause Iron Works logo

a.k.a. S. B. Althause & Co. / S. B. Althause's Sons.

Locations:

  • 1830 · 144 Greene St.
  • 1835-1845 · 443 Broadway and 22 Mercer-street
  • 1854 · 20-22 Mercer St.
  • 1860 · 18, 20 & 22 Mercer St. ("After 1st September, Houston Street, Cor. of Greene")
  • 1863 · 33, 35, 37 & 39 West Houston St. (Corner of Greene)
  • 1886-1890 · No. 101 & 103 Thompson St.
641: CO. NOTES FROM NY'S FAMOUS ALTHAUSE IRON WORKS
Company Notes — LiveAuctioneers

Notes:

  • Samuel Birdsall Althause, b.1804 d~1908
  • "FIRES—A destructive fire broke out on Sunday morning, about 2 o'clock, in the large iron works of Messrs. S. B. Althause & Co., on Mercer-street, in this city, in the rear of and communicating with Nos. 443 and 445 Broadway, and gutting the inside completely. The building was damaged about $6,000, and insured for $2,500. The loss in stock, tools, steam engine, &c., at the lowest calculation, must have been $20,000. Insured for $10,000. Messrs. Althause employ about 75 men in manufacturing iron railing, window-shutters, and various kinds of ornamental ironwork. The building was considered perfectly fire-proof, as every precaution had been taken to make it so. The fire, it is supposed, originated from the forges, and must have been burning some time prior to its being discovered. The Store No. 443 Broadway, occupied by Messrs. N. Ludlow & Co., as a hardware establishment, with the stock and dwelling, was more or less injured by water. The stock was insured for $6,000. The adjoining buildings on Broadway and Mercer-street were considerably injured. Also, insured. The property belonged to N. Ludlam, Esq." —The New World, Volume 9, October 12, 1844
  • "Between 12 and 1 o'clock yesterday morning, a fire broke out in a large five-story manufactory, situated on the southeast corner of West Houston and Greene streets, which, spreading with terrible rapidity, despite the most vigorous exertions of the firemen, soon enveloped the entire building in flames, and thence communicated to the adjoining buildings. When the roof and walls of the structure, where the fire originated, fell, the roof and steeple of the Second Associate Presbyterian Church, a large stone edifice on the southwest corner of Greene and West Houston streets, caught fire, and although by this time there were at least a dozen streams of water playing upon it from steam and hand engines, the flames very soon spread rapidly all over the church, defying the earnest and well-meant efforts of the hardy firemen to stay the terrible conflagration. The old stone church, which for years — how many we know not — has stood there in the centre of vice and crime, a monument of virtue, and always with open doors, inviting the citizen and the stranger to come within, was at length compelled to succumb to the fiery element. It is now nothing but a heap of smouldering ruins. The parsonage also, No. 147 Greene-street, a three-story brick building, adjoining the church, occupied by the Pastor, Rev. JAMES HARPER, was consumed, nothing being left except the bare walls. ON WEST HOUSTON-STREET ... Room No. 39, on the first floor, and also the basement, were occupied by the Messrs. ALTHAUSE SONS. This firm also occupied the third floors of Nos. 33, 35, 37 and 39 West Houston-street, as a manufactory for various kinds of iron utensils and apparatus. For some time past they have been engaged in filling a Government contract for the construction of a large number of gun carriages and other things, which are required to be made of iron for the use of the army. Their loss on stock and machinery is very heavy, and probably will not fall far short of $50,000." —New York Times, November 17, 1862, Page 2
  • "This is the oldest and one of the best known manufacturing concerns in the country. It was founded as far back as 1825, and has thus been in being for a period of sixty-three years. The proprietors of the concern are Messrs. Samuel B. Althause, Elijah P. Leonard and Walton C. Althause, all of whom are natives of New York State. The works are located at Nos. 101 and 103 Thompson street, and are thoroughly equipped with all the latest and most effective mechanical appliances. From thirty to thirty-five skilled and experienced artisans are permanently employed in the manufacture of all kinds of plain, ornamental and architectural ironwork, and a large and brisk business is done. The concern has always enjoyed a high repute for the excellence of its products, and its business relations extend not only to all parts of the city, but of the Union. The policy of the firm has ever been to use only the best native and foreign materials in their manufactures, and to produce these with a perfection and finish that could not be surpassed. All the members of the firm are so well known in connection with the trade and in commercial and social circles as to render personal mention at our hands superfluous." —Illustrated New York: The Metropolis of To-day, 1888
  • "While the J. B. & W. W. Cornell Iron works was not formed until 1847, its partners, John Black Cornell and William Wesley Cornell, had an older brother, George, who had been in partnership with S. B. Althause, as Cornell-Althause & Co., an ironworks, from 1821 to 1841." —A History of Architecture and Trade, Patrick Haughey ed., 2018
  • See Walter Grutchfield for history

1855 New York State Census:

Residence: New York City, Ward 8, District E.D. 1, Household #350

YR = Years Resident in this city or town; MW = Married, Widowed; VS = Voter Status: Native, Alien
Name Age Sex Relation Born MW YR Profession VS
Samuel B Althause 48 M Suffolk M 27 Iron Works N
Helen Althause 46 F Wife Queens M 27
Birdsall Althause 24 M Child M Clerk N
Christiana Althause 28 F " Queens M /
Elizabeth Althause 26 F "
Louisa Althause 21 F "
A B Althause 23 M " Clerk N
J M Althause 18 F "
H W Althause 14 M "
Gerusch Birdsall 60 F Boarder Queens W /
Martha F Seely 65 F " " 612
Margaret Shaw 15 F Servant
Catherine Murphy 30 F " Ireland W / A
Susan Riley 32 F " " / A

Advertising:

Sheldon & Co.'s Business Directory, 1845 Trow's New York City Directory, 1863 Trow's New York City Directory, 1863 National Quarterly Review, 1874
Sheldon's, 1845 Trow's New York City Directory, 1863 N.Q.R., 1874

New York City Record, 1886 Trow's New York City Directory, 1890 Trow's New York City Directory, 1890
New York City Record, 1886 Trow's New York City Directory, 1890