Up: Solar Prism
R. Schuyler Hubbard, M.D.
Home > Prism Glass > United States > Solar Prism > R. Schuyler Hubbard, M.D.
Founders: 1 of 2
COUNTY OF CUYAHOGA
CITY OF CLEVELAND
THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY.
Dr. Hubbard was born at Guy's Mills, Crawford county, Pennsylvania, September 29, 1853, and is the son of the Honorable George A. Hubbard of Berea, Ohio. At the age of thirteen years Dr. Hubbard entered Baldwin University at Berea, Ohio and continued there three or four years. At the age of eighteen he began studying medicine, and in 1876 graduated in the medical department of Wooster University. The following year he commenced practicing at Northfield, Summit county, Ohio, and remained there until the autumn of 1887, when he removed to Bedford.
The Doctor has always been a close student in his profession, taking an active interest in the progress and advancement of all that pertains to it. He is a member of the Ohio State Medical Society, of the Northeastern Ohio Medical Society and is one of the Censors of the medical department of Wooster University. He is ranked among the successful and progressive members of the medical fraternity in Cuyahoga county.
For years he has also taken an active part in politics. While a citizen of Summit county he served as chairman of the Republican county committee, and since his residence in Cuyahoga county he has been prominent in the affairs of his party. But not until 1893 did he ever aspire to office. In the summer of that year he became a candidate for the nomination, at the hands of the Republican party, for County Treasurer, and after a rigorous canvass was successful. His election by over 8,000 majority at the ensuing election demonstrated the wisdom of his party in choosing him as a candidate. The Doctor will take his office in September, 1894.
Dr. Hubbard is a member of the Masonic, Royal Arcanum, K. of P., Foresters and Elks fraternities.
On November 15, 1881, he married Miss Helen Palmer, who was born at Northfield, Ohio, the daughter of William L. and Amelia Whitney Palmer. Her father was born at old Windsor, Hartford county, Connecticut, and came to Ohio in 1832, settling in Summit county, where he followed farming until 1892, when, upon the death of his wide, he came to Bedford, and now resides with his daughter. Dr. Hubbard and wide have three children, namely: Attrissa, born October 31, 1882; Helen, born November 7, 1888; and Hilda, May 7, 1891.
Dr. Hubbard's family have their church "home" in the Methodist Episcopal Church of Bedford.
1900 Census, Ohio, Vol. 26, E.D. 2, Sheet 8, Line 13:
Hubbard, R. Schuyler. Born Sept 1853, age 46, Pennsylvania.
Residing Bedford, Cuyahoga county. Family members:
CITY OF CLEVELAND
WILLIAM R. COATES
Assisted by a Board of Advisory Elders
HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL
THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY
CHICAGO AND NEW YORK
Doctor Hubbard was born at Guys Mills, in Crawford County, Pennsylvania, September 29, 1853, son of George A. and Clarissa (Sybrandt) Hubbard, and grandson of Simon and Eunice (Stearns) Hubbard. His father was a man of unusual gifts and lived a life of service and experience. In early years he was a Baptist minister, and during the Civil war he was chaplain of the One Hundred and Third Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Subsequently he became a practicing lawyer at Berea, was for a number of years postmaster of that city, and served in the Ohio State Legislature.
R. Schuyler Hubbard was educated in local schools, in Baldwin University, at Berea, and began the study of medicine with Dr,. F. M. Coates at Berea. In 1877 he received his medical degree from the University of Wooster, and during the next ten years he had a busy practice at Northfield in Summit County. In 1887 Doctor Hubbard moved his residence to Bedford, Cuyahoga County, nd until recent years he has busy with the demands of a large general practice throughout that vicinity. Since then he has devoted most of his professional time to his work as surgeon of the Mason Tire & Rubber Company at Bedford, and as local surgeon of the Northern Ohio Traction Company.
Doctor Hubbard has always taken an active interest in the republican party. He is a member of the County Committee in Summit County, and in 1893 he became republican candidate for the office of county treasurer and was elected by a large majority. He began his first term of four years in September, 1894, and be reelection he held that office four years. He is affiliated with the Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Elks, belongs to the various medical societies, and is a member of the Bedford Chamber of Commerce and the Methodist Episcopal Church of Bedford.
November 15, 1881, at Northfield, Ohio, Doctor Hubbard married Miss Helen Palmer, daughter of William L. and Amelia (Whitney) Palmer. Her grandfather, Hezekiah H. Palmer, built the first frame house at Northfield, and the Palmers settled in that part of Summit County in 1831, when development and improvement had made only a beginning. Her people were farmers and were among Summit County;s best people. Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard became the parents of three daughters: Trissa; Helen, wife of Walter S. Ross; and Hilda, who married Bryant Avery.
|HUBBARD: Dr. R. S., beloved husband of Helen (nee Palmer), father of Trissa, Mrs. Walter Rose and Mrs. Bryan Avery, grandfather of Mack and John Avery, entered into rest at his residence, Bedford, O., Thursday morning., Sept. 28. Remains at Donald B. Johnson Funeral Home until 10 a.m. Saturday morning. Funeral from the First M. E. Church, Bedford, O., Saturday, Sept. 30, at 2:30 p.m. Friends invited. Akron and Berea papers please copy.|