Home Index Site Map Up: United States Navigation
Up: United States
James H. Rice Co.
Home  > Prism Glass  > United States  > Rice
First: American 3-Way Prism Company Last: Westing & Hafers' Iron Works Prev: Pressed Prism Plate Glass Company Next: J. Merrill Richards Navigation
US: 58 of 70

Location: Chicago

  • Office and Salesroom 80 and 82 Wabash Ave. [1905]
  • Warehouse 34 to 40 South Water St. [1899, 1905]
  • Illinois and St. Clair Streets [1912], 451 St. Clair St. [1913]
  • Office and Warehouse: MICHIGAN, ST. CLAIR and ILLINOIS STREETS. [1915]
ONE OF OUR FIVE WAREHOUSES
James H. Rice
James H. Rice
Office and Salesroom: 80 and 82 Wabash Avenue
Office and Salesroom:
80 and 82 Wabash Avenue

Opposite Marshall Field & Co.
ONE OF OUR FIVE WAREHOUSES
Warehouse No. 1: 34, 36, 38 and 40
South Water Street, Chicago, U.S.A.
RICE'S ARISTO prism tile used in toy washboard
RICE'S ARISTO 4" prism tile used in a 10½" × 5¼" toy washboard (eBay via WorthPoint)

Officers:

  • President James H. Rice
  • Treasurer: J. M. Vernon, Secretary: E. Flanigan, 1887
  • Secretary: Edward Flanigan, 1891
  • President and General Manager: William S. Kenny, Secretary: Matthew J. Garty, 1902

Timeline:

Catalog:

James H. Rice Co.
Manufacturers, Importers and Dealers in
Art and Ornamental Glass
Sand Blast, Chipped, Embossed Glass, Etc.
Also Chipped Glass Signs, Mirrors & Glaziers' Supplies
All Kinds of Glass for Churches and Buildings

Plate and Window Glass
James H. Rice Co. Art and Ornamental Glass: Mirrors, Glass, Signs, etc
Art and Ornamental Glass
James H. Rice Co, Chicago, 1905, 216p
Columbia University Libraries
via The Internet Archive
~30MB: pdf
Page 48 Page 50 Page 97 Page 98 Page 99
Page 48 Page 50 Page 97 Page 98 Page 99
Page 100 Page 101 Page 102 Page 103 Page 104
Page 100 Page 101 Page 102 Page 103 Page 104
Page 105 Page 106 Page 107 Page 108 Page 109
Page 105 Page 106 Page 107 Page 108 Page 109

Advertising:

James H. Rice Co. ad from Book of the Annual Exhibition of the Chicago Architectural Club · 1899
GLASS | James H. Rice Co.   Tel. Main 1944.
PLATE AND WINDOW GLASS,
ART GLASS, MIRRORS, ETC.
Estimates promptly furnished. 34-40 South Water Street,
CHICAGO.
Book of the Annual Exhibition of the Chicago Architectural Club, 1899 via Google Books
James H. Rice Co. ad from American Florist, Volume 24 · 1905
The James H. Rice Co.
IMPORTERS AND JOBBERS
GREENHOUSE GLASS
A SPECIALTY.
Window Glass, Paint, Putty, etc.
80-82 Wabash Avenue and 34 to 40 South Water Street, CHICAGO.
American Florist, Volume 24, 1905 via Google Books

James H. Rice Co. ad from Paint, Oil and Drug Review, Volume 54 No. 4 · 1912
Paint, Oil and Drug Review
Volume 54 No. 4 · 1912
via Google Books
James H. Rice Co. ad from National Glass Budget,  Weekly Review of the American Glass Industry, Volume 31, 1915
Headquarters for ART and PRISM GLASS
National Glass Budget, Volume 31, 1915
via Google Books

Worthy of Notice:

Worthy of Notice
A Gigantic Order.— A window glass order of almost incredible size. Impossible except to the Leaders
Three double-header trainloads, 125 cars, purchased by the James H. Rice Co. in one order
Special inducements always offered for carload orders

Notes:

  • "JAMES HARLOW RICE, one of the oldest and most highly respected business men of Chicago, passed away at his home on Michigan Avenue, in that city, February 6, 1896. He was born in Tompkins County, New York, in 1830. His parents, Asa and Polly (Reed) Rice, were natives of Massachusetts, and settled in New York in 1811, shortly after their marriage. Asa Rice was a prosperous farmer, well known and esteemed for his great moral worth. Both he and his wife were members of the Methodist Church and active in good works. They attained a venerable age, the former dying when eighty years old, and the latter at seventy-five. Mr. Rice [Asa] was an "old-line" Whig, and in later life became a Republican. His nine children reached mature years, and three came West, namely, Henry, Columbus T. and James H. Rice. The first two are now residents of Adair County, Missouri. Columbus Titus Rice came with his brother to Chicago in June, 1854, and proceeded to Missouri four years later, and has resided there ever since. In early life he was a carpenter, and worked at that occupation while a resident of Chicago. On going to Missouri he engaged in farming, but is now retired from active life. He was married in New York in 1855 to Miss Catherine Wickoff, who is still his companion on life's journey. They are the parents of six children, namely: Edward, Flora, Mary, Elizabeth, Charles, Augusta and James." —Album of Genealogy and Biography Cook County, Illinois via Missouri Gravestones
  • "James H. Rice Co · Importers of Polished, Rough and Crystal Plate Glass, 13, 15 and 17 Quincy Street. The growth of Chicago as a business center has not only been very rapid, but its history is one of advanced strides toward the position it now so creditably occupies. Every department of commerce has kept pace with this marvelous growth, and today are to be seen the colossal results of the ability and energy of her citizens, in which the glass trade forms a most important branch, one of the leading representatives being the James H. Rice Co. The business was established just after the fire in 1871, by James H. Rice, and conducted with eminent success, the result of which is the present stock company, which was organized January 1, 1884, with a paid-up cash capital of $100,000, and whose officers are Messrs. James H. Rice, president; J. M. Vernon, treasurer; and E. Flanigan, secretary. The company do an extensive wholesale and retail business, importing direct every grade of polished, rough and crystal plate glass, and handling large quantities of English, French and American window-glass, also French plate and German mirrors, colored, embossed and enameled glass. To accommodate the immense stock carried, a removal was effected, at the opening of the year, from their former location, Nos. 80 and 82 Adams street, which had been occupied by them so many years, to their present spacious premises, Nos. 13, 15 and 17 Quincy street, a modern constructed six-story building, one hundred feet square in dimensions. The stock carried embraces the choicest goods in the market, and the resources of the company are such that the largest orders can be executed promptly and on reasonable terms." —A Business Tour of Chicago, 1887
  • "The growth of Chicago as a business center has not only been very rapid but its history is one of advanced strides toward the position it now so creditably occupies Every department of commerce has kept pace with this marvelous growth and to day are to be seen the colossal results of the ability and energy of her citizens in which the glass trade forms a most important branch one of the leading representatives being the James H Rice Company The business was established just after the fire in 1871 by James H Rice with a capital of 50,000 and conducted with eminent success the result of which is the present stock company which was organized January 1 1884 with a paid up cash capital of 100,000 and whose officers are James H Rice president Edward Flanigan secretary The company do an extensive wholesale and retail business importing direct every grade of polished rough and crystal plate glass and handling large quantities of English French and American window glass also French plate and German mirrors colored embossed and enameled glass To accommodate the immense stock carried a removal was effected early in 1891 from their former location on Quincy street to their present spacious premises 34 36 38 and 40 South Water street The stock carried embraces the choicest goods in the market and the resources of the company are such that the largest orders can be executed promptly and on reasonable terms From its inception this business has been an unprecedented success each year largely increasing the volume of trade Mr Rice has lived in Chicago since 1854 and he conducts this important business on a sound and liberal basis its great extent speaking most impress-" —Industrial Chicago: The building interests, 1891
  • "PLATE GLASS · JAMES H Rice, President of the stock company which bears his name, was born in Anton Caroline, Tompkins County, New York, on May 19, 1830; and is the son of Asa and Polly (Reid) Rice. His early education was gained in the district schools; and, like so many successful business men of the city, he was obliged in early life to assert an independence which stood him in good stead in his after years. At the age of eighteen he left school, and for the five years succeeding was employed on a farm; when, in the spring of 1854 he came West, and for a time was employed in Peru, Illinois. In July of the same year he came to Chicago, and for a number of years he was engaged as a contractor and builder. His first contract in this city was for the erection of a small dwelling-house for ex-Alderman Sexton, situated at the corner of 12th Street and Indiana Avenue. Soon after Park Row was finished by him, and the old Richmond Hotel, on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Lake Street was built. In 1872, after finishing the Tremont House, the partnership existing between Mr. Foote and Mr. Rice was dissolved, and Mr. Rice began business as an importer and dealer in foreign and American window glass. Mr. Foote owned an interest, although his name never appeared as a partner in the firm until 1877. The business was conducted in Mr Rice's name until January 1st, 1884, when the present stock company was incorporated under the name of The James H. Rice Company. Since its incorporation this house has taken a foremost place among the strong business enterprises for which Chicago is so famous; and in its special line is second to only one in the United States. It was among the first, if not the very first, exclusively glass house west of the Alleghany Mountains, and does a very large importation of French manufactured goods, consisting of plate glass and mirrors. Many of the largest buildings in Chicago have been furnished throughout with French plate and window glass from the establishment of the J. H. Rice Company. Mr. Rice was married in September, 1876, to Miss Margaret Gilland, of Des Moines, Iowa." —Chicago and Its Resources Twenty Years After, 1871-1891, 1892
  • "William S. Kenny, for many years in charge of the business of the James H. Rice Co., this city, first as sales manager and latterly as president and general manager, has recently started in business for himself in the wholesale window glass business, with offices in the Republic building. Mr. Kenny has a wide acquaintance among sash and door men all over the country and is regarded as an authority on plate and window glass matters. The James H. Rice Co. recently disposed of its business in Chicago to the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co., of this city." —Chicago Lumberman, Volume 34, 1918
  • "Garty M J (Frances Louise wife), 833 Forrest av, sec James H Rice Co, 80-82 Wabash av, Chicago, tel 1944 Cen" —Evanston Directory, 1903
  • "Body of Lester Morgan, 1220 Burling st., found in elevator shaft of James H. Rice Co, 451 St. Clair st. Accident." —The Day Book via Newspapers.com 1913
  • "431-51 N. ST. CLAIR STREET building, at the southeast corner of E. Illinois street and the northeast corner of E. North Water street, was built in 1907 for the James H. Rice Co. and is now occupied by the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co. It is six stories and one basement high, of mill construction. C. A. Eckstorm was the architect." —History of the development of building construction in Chicago, 1949