Home Index Site Map Up: Hayward Navigation
Up: Hayward

First: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Dust Jacket Last: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 108 Prev: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 26 Next: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 28 Navigation
YOR: 28 of 109
·DJ ·28 ·56 ·84
·FC ·29 ·57 ·85
·1 ·30 ·58 ·86
·3 ·31 ·59 ·87
§4 ·32 ·60 ·88
§5 ·33 ·61 ·89
§6 ·34 ·62 ·90
·7 ·35 ·63 ·91
·8 ·36 ·64 ·92
§9 ·37 ·65 ·93
·10 §38 ·66 ·94
·11 ·39 ·67 §95
·12 ·40 §68 ·96
·13 ·41 ·69 ·97
·14 ·42 ·70 ·98
·15 ·43 ·71 ·99
·16 ·44 ·72 ·100
·17 ·45 ·73 ·101
·18 ·46 ·74 ·102
·19 ·47 ·75 ·103
·20 ·48 ·76 ·104
·21 ·49 ·77 ·105
·22 ·50 ·78 ·106
·23 ·51 ·79 ·107
·24 ·52 ·80 §108
·25 ·53 §81
·26 §54 ·82
§27 ·55 ·83
 
Chapter II



"I takes a great deal of history to produce
a little literature."
Henry James


    Events across the river were shaping the future of the Hayward brothers. In 1807, Thomas Noble had vacated The Dog's Head in the Pot premises on the corner of Union Street and Blackfriars Road in favour of William Browne, also an ironmonger. George Glover, still specialising in iron fences, had continued at 117, Union Street. By a strange coincidence, The Dog's Head in the Pot premises, previously 23, St. George's Place, had been re-numbered 117, Blackfriars Road.
    But this was not the only coincidence. In 1830, by which time Glover had included the manufacture of stoves and ranges in his foundry in Union Street, a Robert Henly appears in business not only with Browne at 117, Blackfriars Road, but also with Glover himself at 117, Union Street. Thus, Henly forges the link in the chain connecting the ancient Dog's Head in the Pot legend with the present headquarters of Haywards Limited on the site of Glover's old premises which, upon his retirement in 1838, Robert Henly, now trading as R. Henly and Company, took over altogether while still retaining the old shop on the corner.
    We see how intricate is the pattern threaded by these events into the history of these firms, how elaborate and interwoven