they become, Walker, Noble, Browne, Glover, Henly, all in smaller
or greater degree ultimately coming together in the long story of Haywards.
On the other side of the river, there were the complicated family
connections, the two firms of Hayward and Son, each governed by an uncle
of the Hayward brothers, as well as Leathley, Chater and Hayward in the
direct line to the Borough.
Considering that the Haywards' forerunner, Henly,
conducted the business for more than twenty years, it is surprising so
little is known of him. After absorbing Glover's connections, he prospered
enough to acquire the premises adjoining 117, Union Street, Number 118. In
1841, he re-built both and today 117 and 118 (now 189/191) Union Street are
structurally very much as the builders left them in 1841.
In 1835, Edward Lambert Hayward, then twenty-four,
had come into his share of Chater and Hayward, remaining with that firm
for some years and taking an active part in its affairs. No doubt, William
joined him there in due course. During the early manhood of the brothers,
the five maiden sisters, all of whom died unwed, would have busied themselves
with domestic duties. But Edward soon married and William, thirteen years