Home Index Site Map Up: Hayward Navigation
Up: Hayward

First: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Dust Jacket Last: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 108 Prev: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 78 Next: Years of Reflection 1783-1953 - Page 80 Navigation
YOR: 80 of 109
·DJ ·28 ·56 ·84
·FC ·29 ·57 ·85
·1 ·30 ·58 ·86
·3 ·31 ·59 ·87
§4 ·32 ·60 ·88
§5 ·33 ·61 ·89
§6 ·34 ·62 ·90
·7 ·35 ·63 ·91
·8 ·36 ·64 ·92
§9 ·37 ·65 ·93
·10 §38 ·66 ·94
·11 ·39 ·67 §95
·12 ·40 §68 ·96
·13 ·41 ·69 ·97
·14 ·42 ·70 ·98
·15 ·43 ·71 ·99
·16 ·44 ·72 ·100
·17 ·45 ·73 ·101
·18 ·46 ·74 ·102
·19 ·47 ·75 ·103
·20 ·48 ·76 ·104
·21 ·49 ·77 ·105
·22 ·50 ·78 ·106
·23 ·51 ·79 ·107
·24 ·52 ·80 §108
·25 ·53 §81
·26 §54 ·82
§27 ·55 ·83
 
    The recruiting campaign had reached its zenith, conscription was the order of the day and only those were retained whose services were indispensable to war production.
    A. F. Benjamin had joined up in 1914 and was shortly serving in Salonica. It being his intention to resume his profession of architect at the end of his military service, he intimated his retirement from the company in 1916. H. T. Walker was elected to the Board in his place.
    The sinking of the Lusitania brought the American nation into the war, and nearer home it aroused intense anti-German feelings even against those of German origin who had always made their homes in England and had done their best to serve the country of their adoption. This feeling, painful as it must have been at the time, prompted William Eckstein, though British by birth, to change his surname to Extone by Deed Pole. Further, as he considered the general hostility might operate against the company itself, in 1916 he withdrew it from the title of the company which has been known as Haywards Limited ever since.
    Towards the end of the war, a contract for a quarter of a million feet of roof glazing was placed with the company and despite the disorders of the time this was carried through without a hitch. A few weeks before the Armistice, a still larger order for glazing was obtained for an important military depot in Slough.
    Substantial orders for similar work followed and revealed the inadequacy of the works. This was no new state of affairs in the Borough but never had the difficulties been so great. By a special concentrated effort, a single order of outstanding size could be sustained but a regular sequence raised serious problems.
    In September 1918, more ground at the rear of the Union Street premises was purchased and a modern one-storey factory, 80 feet by 50 feet was swiftly erected. While the area was not large, it sufficed for the moment until long-term planning could provide alternative arrangements. This step marked the beginning of the re-organisation of the entire works and in the meantime